Stirring Question

Hello!

I started my wine kit on Wednesday at about 9 pm. Is there thoughts on if I should stir the wine after so many hours? Also, how many days should I do this? I have read that typically you need to keep in the primary fermentation for about 5-7 days, is this correct?

No need to stir at this point. Let it sit 1 week. Rack and let sit another week. Take gravity and make sure it is below 0.998 as well as looks fairly clear. Then follow the steps for degassing and stabilizing.

I sometimes stir on day 2 or 3, but it’s not required unless the directions call for it. These kits are hard to mess up if you follow the directions.

Primary is usually 5 to 7 days. It can be longer if you have a low temp. Go by the hydrometer though. It probably calls for racking once your SG drops below 1.010. Don’t worry about timing at that exact moment. Just check once a day starting on day 5.

I also received two Fermometer’s in my kit. What do I do with these things? The directions in my equipment kit and wine kit are pretty brutal for someone like me who has never done this before!

The Fermometers change color to help you monitor the temp of your wine. Peel the backing and stick one on the outside of the primary bucket, and the other goes on the carboy.