Special B malt

Has anyone used special b malt and if so in what beer style? Percentage used?

I use it in Belgian dubbels, 4-8 oz… I also use 4 oz. in a red rye that I’m constantly tweaking. This would be for five gals…

I love it and use it in almost all my Belgian beers, a porter, a scotch ale,… It’s a high crystal with kind of a raisiny taste so it can be used in most beers depending on what you’re going for. I generally use between 4 and 8 ounces.

It’s quite tasty in Arrogant Bastard.

This is pretty much how I use it also. It is one of the few malts that can reliably give a good red color to a beer. It is also very tasty, but can easily be overpowering if you use too much. I’ve never put more than 10 oz in a five gallon batch.

I just finished an ESB a few weeks ago that had 8-oz in it for a 5-gallon batch. It’s a little non-traditional, but it came out fantastic. I was concerned that it might overwhelm the MO, but it really worked.

Made the mistake recently in ordering ingredients on a batch of AB I was making. Instead of 5 oz I accidentally ordered 5 lbs. Unfortunately they mixed it with some other grains in the bag so I have no way of using appropriately. Still sits on my workbench today!

Aww man that sucks. I’m surprised they didn’t contact you to confirm since 5lbs is a crap load unless you were brewing 2 bbls.
Maybe you could use it to make flour for bread or something?

What else went into it other than the 5# Special B? Sounds like a recipe challenge!

I use it as the “secret ingredient” in my house amber. I only use about 2oz but it adds an interesting component to the beer that I feel is missing without the Special B.

I use Special B in all of my robust porters. really kicks 'em up a notch.

Ouch. The only thing I can think of to give you a shot at salvaging that grain bill would be to make a sour. That may not do the trick either, but it seems like it would be worth a shot.

I use it in my IPAs. Nice dark plum and rasiny characteristics. The more you use the more intense those flavors become. I’ve used up to 10% in an Arrogant Bastard clone.

Yes…yes it is…

I use it in my RIPA at 8%.