Sorry to the host but

Seems to me they could save money by not sending out catalogs. Anyone who has internet access doesn’t need them anyway. When I am ready to shop I go online not to the catalog. :wink:

Email them and request that they stop sending catalogs- I did. Go green!

[quote=“WillyK”]Seems to me they could save money by not sending out catalogs. Anyone who has internet access doesn’t need them anyway. When I am ready to shop I go online not to the catalog. :wink:

Email them and request that they stop sending catalogs- I did. Go green![/quote]
Unfortunately, “going green” also means losing jobs. You are keeping far more Americans employed by still receiving catalogs from companies such as our host than you ever would strictly using the website. Not to mention they are printed on recycled stock and using soy based inks. I would rather receive catalogs and request that the waste companies mandate recycling. I think there are enough Americans out of work right now.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“WillyK”]Seems to me they could save money by not sending out catalogs. Anyone who has internet access doesn’t need them anyway. When I am ready to shop I go online not to the catalog. :wink:

Email them and request that they stop sending catalogs- I did. Go green![/quote]
Unfortunately, “going green” also means losing jobs. You are keeping far more Americans employed by still receiving catalogs from companies such as our host than you ever would strictly using the website. Not to mention they are printed on recycled stock and using soy based inks. I would rather receive catalogs and request that the waste companies mandate recycling. I think there are enough Americans out of work right now.[/quote]
this.

I ended up in the stores system because it’s my LHBS and I used my check card when I shopped there.
I never signed up to recieve it. I don’t want the catalog. I think it’s a waste to send it to people that don’t want to it. The jobs argument above in favor of the catalog is pretty bad.

If there were an article or two in the catalog I might keep it around for a day.

[quote=“catswilleatyou”]I ended up in the stores system because it’s my LHBS and I used my check card when I shopped there.
I never signed up to recieve it. I don’t want the catalog. I think it’s a waste to send it to people that don’t want to it. The jobs argument above in favor of the catalog is pretty bad.

If there were an article or two in the catalog I might keep it around for a day.[/quote]
the printer would lose the account. they would need less paper & ink. the paper company would lose income. the ink supplier would lose income. how is that a bad argument? not to mention the number of people that would just pass over the hobby if not for the catalogs?

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“catswilleatyou”]I ended up in the stores system because it’s my LHBS and I used my check card when I shopped there.

If there were an article or two in the catalog I might keep it around for a day.[/quote]

the printer would lose the account. they would need less paper & ink. the paper company would lose income. the ink supplier would lose income. how is that a bad argument? not to mention the number of people that would just pass over the hobby if not for the catalogs?[/quote]

this isn’t something that’s going to go the other way. we’re not going back to black and white tvs. printed material is going to be less and less needed. jobs will change. we shouldn’t keep printing phone books and junk mail.

if people WANT the catalog…that’s something else.

Printers employ composers, CTP operators, press operators, paper handlers, stitchers, trimmers, packers, drivers, etc. Post office employs sorters and carriers. Both purchase gas, use electricity, etc. which employs more workers. It trickles down more than you think.

I for one liked the new catalog. I never order from printed catalogs anymore. I haven’t in at least a decade. However I still like to thumb through catalogs from companies that I shop from. It passes time, and I sometimes find things that I might not think to look for were I just browsing a company’s website.

I do understand where you are coming from.

However, I also understand that in the near future a lot of the businesses that employ those people will begin to realize that mailing a catalog to a trash can is not contributing to their bottom line. Fortunately, new jobs are being created.

What I am saying is that I miss the art - cover art, other art, and ultimately the art of brewing that was present in the prior stuff. It seemed more than just a catalog when Keeler and Dawson were involved. I won’t stop looking at the catalog, but I will likely spend much less time on it, so I will likely not spend as much cash at NB because of it.

Change is inevitable, but some change is not for the better.

After all that we have said, we are all still here, if not daily. Honestly, i have not seen another brewing website that is as good as this one. Oh and people stop mentioning keeler and dawson, the wounds are still fresh!

NB obviously wanted to take its marketing in a different direction and that is why the comment…Sorry to pick at a fresh wound.

+1 especially during #2.[/quote]

you sit on the can during #1?

I am all for american jobs, and I would like having the magizine shipped to me if they had articles in the magazine like they used too, I like that we have discussed american economics, healthy wisconsonites, and eco friendly practices, the fresh wounds of Keeler and Dawson ( it hurts me too) but my original concern has been largley overlooked, not mad just slightly disheartened, lastly as one of you guys stated if you dont like the magazine stop having it deleivered, save the rain forest (paraphrase) I am going to do this I beleive.

I like thumbing through the catalog when it comes, although I’ve always ordered online.

Whether you’ve tried another shop, or been away from brewing, getting the catalog in the mail reminds you NB is there.

I’ve also found the catalog fantastic to have handy when someone starts asking questions about brewing. I generally give them a catalog and it helps spark more interest.

I just remembered that I had a dream last night where I was just walking around downtown somewhere and ran in to Dawson and was asking him why he left Northern Brewer. Can’t remember what he said, but he acted like he knew me already, it was weird. What a weird dream…

CCM wrote:I don’t order from them, but I browse them when sitting on the can…good planning and dreaming time!

+1 especially during #2.

+2+1I thought that is what you are supposed to do with them, sans tablet…**

i emailed the host and was removed from the snail mail list. destroying about 30 american jobs.

Wow! If you don’t care, you don’t care. But regardless of what you think of the catalog, cracking jokes about Americans losing jobs is a poor way of having your opinion valued as a new member.

Wow! If you don’t care, you don’t care. But regardless of what you think of the catalog, cracking jokes about Americans losing jobs is a poor way of having your opinion valued as a new member.[/quote]

sorry baratone brewer. i really do care. we just disagree on whether or not the catalog is a good way to employ people into the future. i will try and be less of a smart ass. wont happen again.