Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Sorry to the host but

The new catolog lay out is

1. hard on the eyes, find it incredibly hard to keep focused on anyhthing, does not work with my brain i guess.

2. reminds me more of a Lands End catolog or those cheesy catologs that are only around during christmas or other hollidays, only those catologs are easier to read.

3. in my newest catolog that came today, one picture of keeler, and picture of dawson with accompanying paragragh about floor malt. seems like a low blow to put pictures in your magizine when employee does not work with your company any more, regardless of reasons for leaving.

4. the old lay out with descriptions and beers was pretty amazing, and it was easy to navagate, what you see is what you got.

5. seem to be pushing making lots of homebrew and giving it away, (which i love to do) pushing the sentimental feelings in order to sell something instead of pushing an awesome product

6. no more beer and food recipes along with descriptions, nothing to help acclerate homebrew as a hobby, more trying to talk you into buying stuff

7. feel like they are more worried about money than advancing homebrewing. I know it is a business and they must make money, I am not that naive, but wish they would fake it a little better atleast.

I know there are a lot of people saying that instead of complaining on forum we should call or email company, I would like other suggestions or possible reasoning before doing so, basically bouncing complaints and trying to make an honest formal and professional report of feelings to company, I will be sure to spell and grammar check what I send to Northern Brewer (lol I know not great writer). I like Northern Brewer to much to not say anything, please feel free to attempt to change my mind

As someone who does graphic design as a living, it’s kind of nice to know that people do notice layouts from time-to-time, even when they don’t like it.

On the other hand, RDWHAHB.
:cheers:

[quote=“muktuk31”]The new catolog lay out

1. reminds me more of a Lands End catolog
    [/quote]

I’ll have to find it and look again for those lovely local Wisconsinite models. Always so healthy looking.

On the other hand, RDWHAHB.
:cheers: [/quote]

what does RDWHAHB mean

Relax Dont Worry Have A Home Brew

I dont think you need to apologize to the host. THis looks like fairly good constructive criticism. It would be recieved well if I was them. However, I actually liked the catalog.

+1 on constructive criticism, but i actually liked the catalog change. I was sick of the same exact catalog showing up every month. Having said this, i agree that NB has become a bit transparent in their sales pitch…just check recent episodes of BTV for good examples.

Seems to me they could save money by not sending out catalogs. Anyone who has internet access doesn’t need them anyway. When I am ready to shop I go online not to the catalog. :wink:

Unfortunately, I think that Dawson and Keeler were the soul of NB (in terms of the public contact and image) and try as they might, they have lost that soul. I want to keep patronizing the company, but some of the changes make me question why I should do that…

Chip, help me, please…

Amen, who orders from the catalog? Then maybe they could offer flat rate shipping again!

Amen, who orders from the catalog? Then maybe they could offer flat rate shipping again![/quote]
I guess put me in the minority. I do not order from the catalog, but enjoy looking through them.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Unfortunately, I think that Dawson and Keeler were the soul of NB (in terms of the public contact and image) and try as they might, they have lost that soul. I want to keep patronizing the company, but some of the changes make me question why I should do that…

Chip, help me, please…

:cheers: [/quote]

They’ve only been gone since Sept. really. Though BrewingTv did take the summer off.

Granted I haven’t been around homebrewing long (less than a year) but NB seems to be the only company out there engaging homebrewers with videos and social media. The other big distributes barely have reviews on their sites.

I don’t know. Everyone has their right to their opinions and I am not trying to say anyone is wrong. I just think NB seems to put an effort into their web/catalog work compared to other places. They very easily could just list everything and pack it, ship it and call it a day like other places. Instead they provide a lot of information for free, and have pretty competitive pricing for excellent product from what I have seen.

Also, I still enjoy the catalogs from companies I like as well.

just my $.02

I have not seen the new catalog yet so no comment on it.

However, catalogs are still a good way to make sales and more money, even if people don’t order from them.
Yes, I do all my ordering for everything online and have not ordered from a catalog for probably 10 years or so LOL

However, in cleaning the house and moving stuff around I found an old catalog for here and look where I am again, back here on the forum now. Been looking at kits to buy to make more brew, etc… and probably order stuff tonight or tomorrow.
Been busy all year and ups and downs like a yoyo and traveling allot, so not been brewing, and just kinda forgot about it till I seen that old catalog, then I said Hey now is a good time to start back up and brew a bunch.
Get away from this nasty store bought cheap stuff I drink and make some good stuff for less than I am paying at the stores probably.

Have to see how much I got I can actually spend right now, but looking to place about $150 order perhaps, and that is because I found an old catalog today!

I don’t order from them, but I browse them when sitting on the can…good planning and dreaming time!

+1 especially during #2.

Now that i think about it, i would have never brewed the st. paul porter or the winter warmer if it were not for the catalog. So they do something.

^^^ This is the main reason NB has retained my business.

I’ve learned a great deal from them either directly (customer service, BTV, etc.) or indirectly (this forum) and happen to be at a stage in life where I am willing and able to pay a few bucks more on an order to help keep all of this going.

I’ll clock in as slightly for/indifferent on the printed catalog, itself.

I don’t mind the catalogue, I enjoy looking through them. It’s the website that I hate, all the changes they made on it, it’s not as easy to navigate as it was 8 or 9 years ago. I also don’t like how they list a malt as English marris otter, but no maltster name.

I just don’t get how they introduce BIAB but then only make it a 3 gal deal. I understand there needs to be money made, but the whole point of it is the make the typical 5 gal all grain easier and simpler to brew. 3 gal is just a weird size.

I like the catalog. I like receiving the catalog. I like when the change the catalogs up a bit. I like giving the catalogs to people interested in beer & home brewing.

Williams Brewing–now THATS a catalog!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com