Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Sierra Nevada Celebration Extract Clone

Anyone have a recipe for this extract recipe? I have seen a few on the net, but all of the dry hop schedules seem different. I was thinking 1oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Chinook.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

MaSheriff

Directly from SN…

89% pale malt (or DME)
11% crystal 60
.5 oz. each Chinook and Centennial at 60 min.
2.5 oz. Centennial at 10 min.
1 oz. Cascade/.5 oz. Centennial at flameout
1 oz. Cascade/.5 oz. Centennial dry hop

Shoot for 1.064 OG and 65 IBU

This recipe came directly from SN brewmaster Steve Dressler

Thanks Denny.

Use a British crystal, it’s really the key to the beer. I used Simpsons medium in my last attempt at Celebration and I got pretty close.

[quote=“Denny”]Directly from SN…

89% pale malt (or DME)
11% crystal 60

This recipe came directly from SN brewmaster Steve Dressler[/quote]

That’s interesting, when I heard him on the Brewing Network last year he said all Chinook to bitter. Don’t tell me he changed the recipe 8)

[quote=“BrewingRover”]Use a British crystal, it’s really the key to the beer. I used Simpsons medium in my last attempt at Celebration and I got pretty close.

89% pale malt (or DME)
11% crystal 60

That’s interesting, when I heard him on the Brewing Network last year he said all Chinook to bitter. Don’t tell me he changed the recipe 8) [/quote]

He must have, because that’s from him (via a friend in the R&D lab) as of a few weeks back.

Hey Denny…when you say pale malt do you mean like a Rahr pale ale malt, or do you mean two row? Just asking because I would love to try this recipe. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

What yeast? 1056/05?

Pale ale malt is a bit darker than pale. Use pale if possible, but it’s not a huge deal. And yes, the yeast is 1056. WY1056 came from SN.

I am going to use white labs wlp001 california ale.

MaSheriff

I bought the 5 gal. Extract kit, but I am going to follow the hop schedule that Denny posted from SN.

Masheriff

I’m going to brew it AG next weekend…according to what Denny provided. Please give us some tasting notes once she is ready…I’ll do the same.

Definately. I am going to keg this one.

MaSheriff

Doing 10 gallons of this on either fri or sat. Going to ferment half with S05 and half with Dennys Fav 50. Stoked for all of it!

HA! This is awesome. I came here to try and sniff out a recipe for this exact beer and whala! First thread!
Thanks guys. Will more than likely brew 5gals of this AG this weekend.

Cheers!

It might be helpful for you to know that they mash this at 157.5°F!

89% pale malt (or DME)
11% crystal 60

Anybody have any guesses on how much grain this translates to for a 5 gallon batch? I am looking to do this my very first or second all grain batches and have no idea what my efficiency will turn out to be. Don’t know boil off rates, etc,…but I still want it to be good!

:cheers:

[quote=“560sdl”]
Anybody have any guesses on how much grain this translates to for a 5 gallon batch? I am looking to do this my very first or second all grain batches and have no idea what my efficiency will turn out to be. Don’t know boil off rates, etc,…but I still want it to be good!

:cheers: [/quote]

If you don’t know that stuff, none of us will be able to make a guess any better than you will. I’d assume 70% efficiency and 1 gal./hr. boiloff. Figure based on that and correct the next time if necessary.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“560sdl”]

:cheers: [/quote]

If you don’t know that stuff, none of us will be able to make a guess any better than you will. I’d assume 70% efficiency and 1 gal./hr. boiloff. Figure based on that and correct the next time if necessary.[/quote]

I guess I don’t know which program to go to (or chart) to tell me that (xx lbs of 2 row (89%) + (xx lbs of Crystal 60 (11%) x 70% (efficiency) = 7 +/- gallons of wort which would boil down to 5.5 at 1.064. Where is a simple place to plug in this recipe so I have a close idea as a starting point?

Sorry for the noob all grain question

You want 64 points/gallon x 5.5 gallons = 352 total points.

Potential points per pound of grain average about 36. But, at the guesstimate of 70% efficiency, you would expect 36 x 0.7 = 25 points per pound.

352 total points ÷ 25 points/pound = 14 pounds of grain

89% of 14 # = 0.89 x 14 = 12.5 # of Pale Ale Malt
11% of 14 # = 0.11 x 14 = 1.5 # of Crystal 60

[quote=“Slothrob”]You want 64 points/gallon x 5.5 gallons = 352 total points.

Potential points per pound of grain average about 36. But, at the guesstimate of 70% efficiency, you would expect 36 x 0.7 = 25 points per pound.

352 total points ÷ 25 points/pound = 14 pounds of grain

89% of 14 # = 0.89 x 14 = 12.5 # of Pale Ale Malt
11% of 14 # = 0.11 x 14 = 1.5 # of Crystal 60[/quote]

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com