Sanitizing corks?

I’m bottling my first bach of wine, and am wondering if it’s necessary to sanitize corks. I’ve read conflicting feedback on this, some say yes and others no. Is it necessary to drop them into some Star San for a couple minutes before bottling and corking my wine?

thanks!

Some feel the need to and some don’t.

If someone does sanitize the corks with a sanitizing agent, is it possible that the corks can absorb the sanitizer even if you rinse them and then leak into the wine?

As a newbie to wine making I didn’t sanitize the corks I used when I bottled my wine however after a month of my wine being bottled, I have floating sediment in my wine bottles. Could this be because I didn’t sanitize the corks?

Dave

Your not soaking the corks just a quick dip will suffice.
Does your floaties look like small chunks of cork?

I like to rinse my corks in sanitizer, more for a little lubricant. Makes it easier installing with my floor corker. I also use #9 corks for long term storage/aging.

I didn’t sanitize my corks, but the sediment is not floating. I used the corks directly from the sealed package.

I left a bottle upright and the sediment sank to the bottom. My guess is that this is fallout from no using a longer clarification process in the carboy or I hope it is but I am now worried that I didn’t dip my corks in sanitizer.

[quote=“Wine Brewer”]I didn’t sanitize my corks, but the sediment is not floating. I used the corks directly from the sealed package.

I left a bottle upright and the sediment sank to the bottom. My guess is that this is fallout from no using a longer clarification process in the carboy or I hope it is but I am now worried that I didn’t dip my corks in sanitizer.[/quote

you are correct about u should have left it the clear a little longer. Never get in a hurry to bottle ur wine. I have left my wine in the carboy for up to a year.To me it is it seems better to store or age in bulk. Also if u wanna or need to make any changes to ur wine u may do so . Once u bottle only time will tell.

As far as the corks go some are designed to be soaked, some to be used completely dry. I never bother sanitizing corks unless they have fallen on the floor etc. if you are getting them straight out of the bag they came in they should be pretty clean. I’ve never had any issues. There should be enough alcohol in the wine (and sulphite) by the bottling stage to keep it pretty stable and safe unless coming in contact with a major contaminant.