Sam Adams 13th Hour Clone?

A new friend is in love with this beer. I looked up and its a Belgian dark strong. I didn’t find it to have much spicy yeast character so I’d probably go with WLP530 and a cool ferment. It is 9% ABV and not real heavy so maybe some D1 syrup. I detected chocolate and coffee, with some dark fruit and a hint of oak. So some Special D, a little pale chocolate, and some oak cubes. I’ll probably use a 2-row pale malt as the base.

Anybody have a clone recipe to see how far off I might be?

No help? Anybody drink one of these?

Yeah I’ve had this, I guess they call it a stout on the label. Its part of their barrel room series, which like their Kreik and Red, are at least partly soured in oak barrels prior to bottling.

The complexity of this beer comes from the bugs, so a true clone would involve some souring. According to their website:

“The combination of 7 different malts creates a brilliant black brew that’s full bodied and smooth with rich notes of coffee, chocolate, and dark fruits like raisins and plums. The dark roasty, and slightly sweet flavors of a stout are blended with the unique, spicy and sour character of our Kosmic Mother Funk (KMF), an ale that’s been aged in oak tuns for up to a year. The KMF gives the beer an added complexity with notes of black pepper, oak, vanilla, and a hint of acidity.”

So I guess they blend a fresh stout with a sour ale to create a “Belgian Dark Strong.”

As for the clone, I guess it depends on how much you like your friend, cuz this seems like quite a project.

:cheers:

Yeah I’ve had this, I guess they call it a stout on the label. Its part of their barrel room series, which like their Kreik and Red, are at least partly soured in oak barrels prior to bottling.

The complexity of this beer comes from the bugs, so a true clone would involve some souring. According to their website:

“The combination of 7 different malts creates a brilliant black brew that’s full bodied and smooth with rich notes of coffee, chocolate, and dark fruits like raisins and plums. The dark roasty, and slightly sweet flavors of a stout are blended with the unique, spicy and sour character of our Kosmic Mother Funk (KMF), an ale that’s been aged in oak tuns for up to a year. The KMF gives the beer an added complexity with notes of black pepper, oak, vanilla, and a hint of acidity.”

So I guess they blend a fresh stout with a sour ale to create a “Belgian Dark Strong.”

As for the clone, I guess it depends on how much you like your friend, cuz this seems like quite a project.

:cheers:

I dont have a clone idea for you either. Just thought I’d say its a good beer, and I agree with the previous poster.

If I were you Id try to get close by making a stout recipe and maybe blending it with something youve soured?

I thought I got just a hint of cherry sourness. I have plenty of kriek to blend so I’ll brew a BDS or a stout and blend.

I think the guy was just enamored of the Kosmic Mother Funk description, he’s an old hippie.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I thought I got just a hint of cherry sourness. I have plenty of kriek to blend so I’ll brew a BDS or a stout and blend.

I think the guy was just enamored of the Kosmic Mother Funk description, he’s an old hippie.[/quote]

You’re probably right. Just name it something wild and he’ll think its dead on. I got a bit of cherry from it too. I’d play with that. See what happens.