Saisonstein's Monster

Saisonstein’s Monster is an Omega-original, genetic hybrid of two Saison strains, the French (OYL-026) and Belgian (OYL-027). It is versatile, aromatic and attenuative with a silky mouthfeel. It excels in high gravity and it ferments more reliably and thoroughly than its parents. It is spicy, complex, tart, dry and crisp with some bubblegum character present from its Belgian parent, and more fruit and fewer phenolics than its French parent. Attenuation is 80-90% or more.

Decided to use this yeast today for the spiced fruit beer I’m making. Have any of you tried it? I’m looking forward to it.
Since this yeast is a Dextrine muncher do I have to worry about losing the sweetness of my Homey malt?

Haven’t used that but it sounds interesting. I’m looking at a new saison yeast so keep us updated.

12 hours after pitching nice beginning activity on a 1.05og pitched at 68F.

Following with interest. I would have to order that yeast(soon as I have a healthy mistrust of shipping yeast in summer here).

What temp are you fermenting at?

I’ve targeted this year as dialing in a saison or two, to be bottled… I used 3724 and made some very nice saisons in 2017-early2018, but subsequent repitches became less flavorful. So although I still have that yeast in the bank, I’m going to dump it.
Fermenting warm at ambient with foil only(no airlock) worked well with 3724.

I have been letting ambient temps determine what’s been happening. Right now it’s at 72F and has been at 75F for the last 2 days (apartment at 70F). The krausen never got more than 2 1/2 inch but was very vigorous for 48hr after activity started. Airlock aromas typical. I am pretty excited to be trying a single strain saison again. I hear you @voodoo_donut about the less flavorful. Last summer I made some of my best Saisons from virgin YeastBay saison melanges. But they did not keep my interest as the summer progressed. The best thing I made last summer was a 50/50 blend. I fully fermented a 2.5g batch with YeastBay Saison II and fully fermented with 2.5g batch of Weihenstephan Weizen yeast at 80F. These were blended at bottling.

1 Like

Update: I made two very nice Saison’s with the Saisonstein’s Monster yeast. Both of the saisons I made were hopped with late additions and a 170f 20 min hops stands. As a result they are naturally hoppy floral/juicey but the yeast compliments this very well.

1 Like

Just ordered the haystack saison extract kit with saisonsteins monster yeast. I plan on fermenting in an attic closet that is currently at 82F. Temps are pretty stable where I’m at until mid July, so I’m cutting it a little close. Anyone fermented this yeast in a higher range?

No I have not but ive abused many saisons and have had some success just watch for the fuesal alcohol

1 Like

Great yeast. Enjoy and report back.

1 Like

Just finished brew day. Ended up .01 higher than expected (target 1.056, finished 1.066). Seemed way darker than I thought it would, even added half the malt syrup and Dme with 15 mins left. Wort tasted fine, thought about diluting but scared to open after pitching. Did not mini mash, just steeped the 1/2 lb grain that came with the kit. I guess we’ll see what saisonstein can do.

Thats funny traditional saisons were done open fermentation or at least inoculated in a coolship. My last saison i left my bucket overnight in the orchard open and pitched yhe yeast in the morning came out well

1 Like

I like that, but I’m not that cavalier yet haha. I think I will just let it go and see what happens

Was a little worried because my fermentation hadn’t noticeably started after 12 hours. Asked my wife to listen for bubbles while I was at work and bupkus. Got home, still no bubbles. Checked blowoff, not submerged. Reinserted, immediate steady bubbliciousness. I imagine it will be fine due to the nature of saison itself, and from the info in this forum.

1 Like

Agree, sounds like you’ll be fine. You were just briefly doing an ‘open’ fermentation, which is a thing with saisons anyway.

1 Like

So I think my ferment may have stalled. No blowoff activity whatsoever, after only 4 days. Bubbling was steady for 3 but not as vigorous as expected. Checking gravity tomorrow. First thought is to move it to warmer locale, currently strip thermo reads 79, so I thought this would be ideal for saisonstein. If I need to repitch, should I try safeale 05? I have a safeale k 97 (Kolsch) but want to stay kinda neutral on a second pitch.

Before you worry about adding yeast, do your gravity test. Temps that warm, it may be done, short of the final throws of finishing up.
IF it has stalled, I’d suggest you remove the lid/air locker and cover with cloth/foil… allow it to breathe without any pressure… AKA as open fermenting… sort of… keep us posted.
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Thanks, I will test and see what’s happening there. Found a small brew shop close to home so I can start buying yeast there, I think. If that is/was the issue

1 Like

So I checked gravity today. Did a little taste comparison between a rice saison (can’t remember from which brewery) and my saison in the works with some friends who’ve never tried homebrew.

Gravity was down to 1.008 from 1.066 after brewing/pitching on Tuesday. I’m guessing it’s almost done, will check again in a few days. Nice flavors, heading in a hefe direction. Not my favorite style but happy there were no odd flavors yet.

I believe Saisons are OK. They throw some interesting flavors.
Test the gravity in another 5 days and see if it’s stable… then it’s time to look at packaging… mmmmm beeer!
Sneezles61

1 Like

If bottling should I go ahead and bottle if gravity is stable? I know they are meant to drink young, but should I let it sit in the primary for several more weeks to clean up? Was gifted a 1/2 gal ukeg that I’m excited to try out when fg is reached.