Saisonstein's Monster

I haven’t bottled for many years …. Having the gravity stable for a few days lets you know the fermenting is done. I’d bottle once that is known.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks, then I can move on to whatever my next brew will be

1 Like

There u go, keep the pipeline flowing! I brewed more in the first 3 years I was brewing than I do now, many homebrew fueled get togethers!

1 Like

Gonna drive my wife crazy haha

2 Likes

Mr. Donut…… I believe the age slows us down a wee bit!
:beers::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses:
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Tested gravity again today, down to 1.006 from 1.066. Definitely tastes a little hot, not terribly so, though. Going to fill a ukeg and chill it while I head out to the movies. Hope I didn’t make fusel😬though it was a warmer ferment than I would have liked. Bottling tomorrow regardless

And apparently while moving beer around with blowoff tube attached looks like I sucked up about a quart of star San water. Fml. Should have put on a damn airlock

While not ideal, A lot of people have drank star san with their homebrew, not harmful, “don’t fear the foam” was a northern brewer rallying cry a decade ago.

2 Likes

Now realizing it must have happened as I filled my ukeg. My lack of basic physics comprehension astounds me. I will shut up now. :person_facepalming:

I don’t fear the foam when I bottle, it just seems like sooooo much. :joy: this one may be a strict keep at home-brew

1 Like

I guess the real question is: would you dump it before bottling?

Ha, this should ease your mind:

So yes, you should be fine.

1 Like

One additional thought, if you haven’t already started the bottling process, you could let the yeast work on the starsan awhile, that was apparently a main feature in that thread I posted.

1 Like

Wow thanks! Sounds like it should be fine. Now just worried about my ferm temp/fusel alcohol production. Is there a definitive test for it?

I think I’m in way too hot of a spot in my house. And it’s the coolest area. Already taste a little hot but not bad. May have to move it to the attic where we ironically have an ac unit. And bite the bullet on the elec bill.

Swamp cooler is another option to look at for the next batch…
Heck, how about Kviek yeast? Stories it’ll ferment clean up to the 90’s!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Not sure about a test for a fusel alcohols, it’s more of a taste thing. @sneezles61 ‘s recommendation above for a swamp cooler is a great idea until you can get more definitive temperature control. I used these things with ice, cold water and frozen water bottles With great success for several years before I upgraded.

2 Likes

A fusel bomb will give you one heck of a headache

1 Like

Yep. Discussed here. Interestingly, as I thought more of a perception, no definite test mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks y’all! I chilled some in my ukeg but unfortunately bought the wrong co2 size. Go figure for today. Is your whole carboy in that igloo? I’ve used plastic bins with frozen bottles before. I’m thinking I might rack onto some kind of fruit and let it go another two weeks but in some kind of swamp cooler. From that article it sound like I might still have something on my hands

I may have to try another batch with Kveik. I think I did an altbier with it and it worked great.

1 Like