Rye recipe

Anybody got an opinion on this here recipe I brewed? What would you adjust just on a first glance? I made it up un the fly.

11 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Rye Malt
.75 lbs crystal 120

2 oz Chinook at 60
1 oz Cascade at 10
1 oz Centennial at 10
1 oz Cascade at 0
1 oz Centennial at 0

White labs CAlifornia Ale Yeast

IBU’s–95
Color-- 14 SRM
OG was 1.068
FG was 1.015

Only been in bottles a week. Gravity samples tasted good though.

[quote=“Adam20”]Anybody got an opinion on this here recipe I brewed? What would you adjust just on a first glance? I made it up un the fly.

11 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Rye Malt
.75 lbs crystal 120

2 oz Chinook at 60
1 oz Cascade at 10
1 oz Centennial at 10
1 oz Cascade at 0
1 oz Centennial at 0

White labs CAlifornia Ale Yeast

IBU’s–95
Color-- 14 SRM
OG was 1.068
FG was 1.015

Only been in bottles a week. Gravity samples tasted good though.[/quote]

Looks pretty solid to me. Simple is always good, let the rye shine. Two questions:

1.) any reason why you used crystal 120 as opposed to 40 or 60? I know the real high lov crystals give more of a figgy, raisiny quality more appropriate for dubbels and such than American ales. Its such a small %age of your gritst though, it might have a different flavor in such small amounts that might do really (really) well with the rye

2.) seems like big bittering charge. For a more restrained bitterness, maybe move 1oz of those chinooks to FWH? On IPAs and aroma-hop-forward beers, I tend to do a clean high alpha hop @ 60 minutes (such as warrior/magnum), but thats just a personal preference.

Now I will just need a six pack or so for final evaluation.

what pietro said, plus:

why no dryhopping? another 2-3oz of cascade and centennial would be nice here.

1. I really was just wanting a slightly darker color. If you were looking to just get color and not flavor, how would you go about it? A higher amount of lower lov crystal? I did have a feeling that the plum type dark fruit flavor might be good with the peppery flavor in the rye. I didnt have any reason to be able to confirm that though. Ive never worked with rye.

2. FWH is a good idea. I think I’ll try that next. I agree with you on the clean bittering with a Magnum type hop. I did the Chinook cause I had some left over from an Arrogant bastard clone attempt.

Haha well if it turns out good maybe I’ll send you a 22 oz’er.

I wish I had a good reason for no dry hop. In honesty though, it just didnt occur to me.

I’ve never really liked Magnum for an AIPA. Too restrained for my tastes.

What’s your preference? It depends whats being brewed for me. I typically like the subdued bittering when Im experimenting with a hop type. One of my favorite recipes I’ve made was one where I wanted to familiarize myself with cascade so I did magnum to bitter and late cascade additions. I still make it sometimes.

I understand Arrogant Bastard is all Chinook and I LOVE that beer so I use Chinook to bitter sometimes.

Looks sort of like the bastard son of Arrogant Bastard. Bet it’s good even without a dryhop.

That is allot of rye…

I did 1.5 lbs in mine and thought that was perfect. I’m also not dry hopping mine and will be bottling this weekend.

Haha well hopefully the bastard son tastes half as good as its father.

Aren’t Cascade and Centennial kind fo redundant? I’ve always heard of Cent as being a super-charged Cascade. I’d personally go with something that give a little more pine like Columbus or just use Cent.

I like the grain bill, using a significant amount of rye really accentuates the mouthfeel and I like that slickness myself. I’m ambivalent about the choice of crystal, I like them all.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Aren’t Cascade and Centennial kind fo redundant? I’ve always heard of Cent as being a super-charged Cascade. I’d personally go with something that give a little more pine like Columbus or just use Cent.

I like the grain bill, using a significant amount of rye really accentuates the mouthfeel and I like that slickness myself. I’m ambivalent about the choice of crystal, I like them all.[/quote]

In my mind, Cascade is a really gentle american hop that has some pine, but more so a lightly grassy tangerine aroma and flavor.

Centennial is a bit more pronounced with heavier citrus, pine, and some resinous/earthy flavor.

It could be redundant, but I’ve always thought of those two hops working well together.

It seems to me that he will get a good earthy/piney even slighly oniony underlying flavor/aroma from a FWH charge of Chinook, which can be pleasantly gnarly (!). Also, I think using those @ bittering will impart the slightest bit of flavor.

I agree with you. I find Cascade, Centennial and Chinook to be different from each other and very complementary.

[quote=“Adam20”]I really was just wanting a slightly darker color. If you were looking to just get color and not flavor, how would you go about it?[/quote]What I do is add Carafa III to the mash with about 15 minutes left.

Always good to hear people’s descriptions of the subtleties of various hops. Cascade isn’t a hop I’ve use a lot of, simply because its so prevalent in commercial craft beers. Although my cuirrent batch of APA has Cascade as a late addition and dry hop.

Cascade is one of my favorite late hops. I think tangerine is a good flavor description for it. To me cascade is the classic california style citrus hop type. Centennial to me is where I get my pine and resinous flavors. I think Snow Day is a beer that shows Centennial off really well. The citrus flavors between the two seem to be where they differ for me.

I like the description of Chinook too actually. Because even though the flavor isnt oniony to me, it certainly seems to bring a sort of muskiness in its bittering that plays with the brightness of the Cascade and Centennial.

Carafa III is a great suggestion. Obsiously your not adding like a pound of it? A few ounces maybe for an amber color?

Im really pleased by this thread. I thought I’d come out with something terrible since I threw it together. You guys have me pretty excited to taste this sucker.

[quote=“Adam20”]Cascade is one of my favorite late hops. I think tangerine is a good flavor description for it. To me cascade is the classic california style citrus hop type. Centennial to me is where I get my pine and resinous flavors. I think Snow Day is a beer that shows Centennial off really well. The citrus flavors between the two seem to be where they differ for me.

I like the description of Chinook too actually. Because even though the flavor isnt oniony to me, it certainly seems to bring a sort of muskiness in its bittering that plays with the brightness of the Cascade and Centennial.

Carafa III is a great suggestion. Obsiously your not adding like a pound of it? A few ounces maybe for an amber color?

Im really pleased by this thread. I thought I’d come out with something terrible since I threw it together. You guys have me pretty excited to taste this sucker.[/quote]

Simple is always good. Unless simple is not good, then there’s something in your brewhouse thats not good :slight_smile:

Somebody was telling me last night about throwing a handful of UNMILLED carafa3 or black patent in for dark beers as it extracts JUST the color and you have no possibility of tannin extraction.

Yet another suggestion is to double/triple grind the carafa3 and just add @ sparge or mashout. However, I do like a decent bit of crystal malts in my hop forward beers, and I think yours will do particularly well with the rye. Make sure to let us know how it comes out!

I’d put that in me belly.

I did a rye beer that was 4 lb rye in a 12lb grain bill for 6 gallons. I used 1 lb rice hulls, and used a beta-glucan rest instead of the ordinary protein rest. The beta-glucan rest was 90 min long, and there was temperature hopping. I first raised the mash to around 128, then used ice cubes to drop it to around 112, then boiling water to raise it back to 128, then the starch conversion. It worked! No lost gravity points.

Wow! Why?

Wow! Why?[/quote]
because of previous mishaps with rye, lost gravity points, which says ineffective mashing. Also, I ground the barley to the usual 1mm, but ground the rye to a flour.