Rahr 2-Row and pH

I’m using Rahr 2 Row as the base for my porter this weekend. Shooting for a room temp pH of 5.6 and using a bit of baking soda to get it there. Do I need to up the baking soda in bru’nwater for a 5.7 or 5.8 pH in order to buffer the acidity of Rahr?

I don’t have a pH meter so I"m trying to figure it all out before hand. Thanks.

I would recommend using Calcium Carbonate over baking soda.

Calcium, rather than sodium, is beneficial to have in your beer.

[quote=“Wahoo”]I would recommend using Calcium Carbonate over baking soda.

Calcium, rather than sodium, is beneficial to have in your beer.[/quote]

I recommend never using calcium carbonate. it’s solubility is low and unpredictable so it’s hard to say how much effect it will actually have. Baking soda or pickling lime are much better choices.

The best way to account for Rahr malt in Brunwater is ti set the color about 1L darker than the malt actually is. That way you can make all you calculations accurately.

Martin recommends setting the color to 5 when using Rahr 2-row. Works for me.

Yeah I actually want the sodium in my porter, and not the calcium.

I’ll set it to 5, thanks for the tip!

[quote=“Wahoo”]I would recommend using Calcium Carbonate over baking soda.

Actually, unless your water has very low calcium content, calcium has little benefit in brewing. Ales need a modest amount (~50 ppm ) in order for them to clear in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, there is little need for the water to have ANY calcium. The malt provides ALL the calcium that the yeast need for metabolism.

I’m typically only adding calcium to get the chloride or sulfate I want in my beers. Including a low level of sodium can be beneficial to beer flavor in some styles. Sodium is OK at low levels (say <75 ppm) in some styles. In the case of needing to add alkalinity to avoid an overly low pH, that is often a dark beer. It just so happens that dark beer flavor DOES benefit from that modest sodium level that baking soda can provide.

Don’t use chalk in brewing since it doesn’t really work in a timely and effective manner.

So with this conversation using PPM, can some one explain it so I can wrap my hand around the glass? I do believe the million is to be a liter, right? Then its broken down to, lets say teaspoons to a liter? See I’m somewhat stuck… Sneezles61 :roll:

PPM is parts per million.

1 mg per liter = 1 ppm.

Not sure where you’re going with the teaspoons. I recommend weighing all your salt additions with a gram scale that goes out a couple digits past the decimal with some reasonable tolerance.

I was just using a scenario to help me understand…. will need to get a scale thats very precise then…
I know using volumes/weights is important. Again, dialing in the brewing process is a life long adventure…. Thank you…. Sneezles61

[quote=“sneezles61”]I was just using a scenario to help me understand…. will need to get a scale thats very precise then…
I know using volumes/weights is important. Again, dialing in the brewing process is a life long adventure…. Thank you…. Sneezles61[/quote]

Compared to a few years ago there are pretty good electronic scales now for about $50 or so. Much better than trying to use measuring spoons.

If you are getting into making water adjustments it will be money well spent imo.

Wow, guys… I never heard of Rahr 2-row being more acidic than other base malts. Learn something new every day! :slight_smile:

[quote=“mabrungard”][quote=“Wahoo”]I would recommend using Calcium Carbonate over baking soda.

Actually, unless your water has very low calcium content, calcium has little benefit in brewing. Ales need a modest amount (~50 ppm ) in order for them to clear in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, there is little need for the water to have ANY calcium. The malt provides ALL the calcium that the yeast need for metabolism.

I’m typically only adding calcium to get the chloride or sulfate I want in my beers. Including a low level of sodium can be beneficial to beer flavor in some styles. Sodium is OK at low levels (say <75 ppm) in some styles. In the case of needing to add alkalinity to avoid an overly low pH, that is often a dark beer. It just so happens that dark beer flavor DOES benefit from that modest sodium level that baking soda can provide.

Don’t use chalk in brewing since it doesn’t really work in a timely and effective manner.[/quote]

Fascinating!