Quite malty "IPA"

I brewed a BIAB “IPA” several weeks ago. Its been bottled only a bit over one week but I find it very difficult NOT to pull one out to taste it.

This one is very malty. Way more than I expected.

It seems almost scorched but I dont know what that tastes like.

I’m pretty certain I did not scorch anything. I had one of those SS veggie steamer thingys that stand proud of the bottom of the pot so the grainbag never came in contact with the actual bottom of the brewpot.
But this batch had so many firsts for me…first time adding heat up to mash out temp…roughly 168-169 for ten mins.

First time using Dennys Fav 50, which in reading says can accentuate maltiness.

Its not “bad” but so far doesnt seem like its one I’m going to really enjoy if it stays that malty.

I’m pretty sure it;ll mellow out with some age but I’m just looking for some confirmation from those more experienced than me.

What was the grain bill?

Yes… recipe please.

Did you stir it while adding the heat? Also it will not get less malty in time but MORE malty as any bitterness fades.

At one week after bottling, you’re probably tasting yeast. Give it a few weeks to condition and settle.

it was a 3 gal batch

6 lbs 2 row
1/2 lbs belg carmel pils
1/4 lb Crystal 60

I did stir while I raised the heat but not constantly.

I’ll wait a couple weeks and have another sample. I “sampled” 1 more last night and its either growing on me or its getting better.

[quote=“Kgetch”]it was a 3 gal batch

6 lbs 2 row
1/2 lbs belg carmel pils
1/4 lb Crystal 60

I did stir while I raised the heat but not constantly.

I’ll wait a couple weeks and have another sample. I “sampled” 1 more last night and its either growing on me or its getting better.[/quote]
That’s definitely not too much crystal, but enough to make a difference for sure in a 3 gallon batch. Unless this beer was under hopped, I’d say that possibly it under attenuated? Malty and sweet are different things.

Its not sweet… I used 0.6 oz Magnum at 60min, then…IIRC 0.4 oz cascade at 30 min.

My spreadsheet indicated IBU’s were in style range but I cant recall which end it was closest to for a number.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Its not sweet… I used 0.6 oz Magnum at 60min, then…IIRC 0.4 oz cascade at 30 min.

My spreadsheet indicated IBU’s were in style range but I cant recall which end it was closest to for a number.[/quote]
That’s it? What’d that give you? 30 IBU? I put at least 3oz in my 3 gallon IPA batches. At least.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Its not sweet… I used 0.6 oz Magnum at 60min, then…IIRC 0.4 oz cascade at 30 min.

My spreadsheet indicated IBU’s were in style range but I cant recall which end it was closest to for a number.[/quote]

That sounds more like an american amber hop schedule than an IPA

Definitely low on hops. I do find that when I first try a brew it takes me a few to get to know it, after that I like it more and more until I run out.

I have to agree with the others. You did not make an IPA. I would fully expect the malt character to dominate the hops in the recipe. Definitely give it another go with a few more ounces of late kettle hops and then dry hope with a couple ounces.

[quote=“Kgetch”]
I’m pretty certain I did not scorch anything. [/quote]
Scorching the wort would not make it maltier. It would add a smoky aroma/flavor similar to cigarette smoke (he said from experience :oops: ).

Hi guys, My mistake…was quoting those hop numbers via poor memory!

Actual was 0.4 oz of magnum at 60 min. 1 oz of cascade at 30 min.

Sreadsheet says thats 55 IBU’s.

It definately does not have any cigarette aroma or taste.

For any IPA you need to load up on late addition hops some 15, 10, 5, 0 dry hop. It’s not just about ibu’s you need hop flavor and aroma also. For a 5 gallon batch I will use any where from 6 to 12 oz of hops.

As stated above…

Along with IBU’s that are probably bare-minumum, your recipe has minimal flavor/aroma additions, which are really what makes an IPA what it is. I have no doubt that this may be an excellent beer, just not really comparable to a modern commercial IPA in terms of style.

Long story short, your attenuation and FG (did you measure FG, by the way?) are probably fine, but the balance is off.

Absolutely. I’ve done a Pliny clone which used 16oz for a 5 gallon batch. This was back when I brewed on the stovetop, and I swear my kitchen smelled like hops for at least a month. Even with a whopping pound of hops, within 4 months the hops flavor/aroma was fading to the point that I couldn’t distinguish it from an american amber.