Problem with Denny's Wry Rye IPA

When you say “rousing” do you mean agitating to get the yeast up off the bottom of the fermenting bucket?

[quote=“pgbrew”]When you say “rousing” do you mean agitating to get the yeast up off the bottom of the fermenting bucket?[/quote]I use a long-handled plastic spoon to gently scrape the yeast cake off the bottom and then stir slowly to disperse.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/28-p ... addle.html

I have one of these. I don’t think they are of much use except to give yeast a little stir in a carboy.

[quote=“ibeentired”][quote=“Pietro”]

[quote=“pgbrew”]
All I wanted was a few words of advice and encouragement.[/quote]
The NB forum is (almost always) the place to come for both.[/quote]

Yeah seriously, this little flame war is a rarity on this forum. Don’t let it sour you, this place is a wealth of good information![/quote]

I have to speak up and agree with this. This is the only brew forum I frequently visit and it’s because of the wealth of good brewing experience and the lack of a$$holes and arrogance. It just shows that one person can show up and ruin it for everybody else. The thing about brewing is that everybody has their own experiences and you have to take it for what it’s worth. It’s not like you’re paying for this!

Now for my own advice that’s worth about nothing! I’ve never experienced a “stuck” fermentation after 120+ batches. When it’s done, it’s done. Unless you really tried to stop it and succeeded, there’s little use in leaving it on the yeast after 3 weeks. Rack it and condition it and pray it gets better. Odds are against it, though…IMHO!

For better or for worse, I stirred up the yeast (gently) this morning. Tonight I noticed the float in the airlock has lifted, I’m hoping by fermentation. At this point the only thing I have to lose is time, might just as well wait and see what happens.

In the interim I procured a small fridge from Craigslist for $50 and the bucket will fit perfectly inside with room for the airlock and if necessary a blowoff setup. Next item on the list is a temperature controller.

Thanks again for everyone’s help. I will continue to post updates periodically if anyone is interested.

[quote=“pgbrew”]For better or for worse, I stirred up the yeast (gently) this morning. Tonight I noticed the float in the airlock has lifted, I’m hoping by fermentation. At this point the only thing I have to lose is time, might just as well wait and see what happens.

In the interim I procured a small fridge from Craigslist for $50 and the bucket will fit perfectly inside with room for the airlock and if necessary a blowoff setup. Next item on the list is a temperature controller.

Thanks again for everyone’s help. I will continue to post updates periodically if anyone is interested.[/quote]

The agitation probably forced some CO2 out of the solution. Good move on the fridge and controller. Every beer will benefit from temperature control. Chalk this one up to good experience, even if it doesn’t turn out well.

24 hours after stirring the yeast up the airlock is steadily bubbling again. I guess something is happening in there.

Update:

FG is 1.011, tastes almost like burnt caramel on the front but after that it isn’t bad. I racked to the secondary - nothing to lose at this point. I’ll give it a few more weeks before giving up on it.

Since there have been a few reports of some users not getting along I’m deciding to chime in.

I think we are all adults here. sometimes we can have discussions which offend people, especially in text, since you can read it in a certain tone. I don’t want to play big brother and censor shit, ban or suspend people, or anything like that. This is a tight, passionate community. Can we hug it out?

I do believe in freedom of speech, and that is all peoples freedoms. But I will not hesitate to lock threads or ban/suspend/whatever a user if they get out of hand if I need to.

That said, let’s try to keep thing civil.
:cheers: