Ph56 question - Storage Solution Alternative

Hi…

I got a Milwaukee Ph56 meter for christmas. I was hoping to learn how to use it tomorrow, but there is no package of storage solution - just one each of 4.01 & 7.01 buffers

The first step in using it - according to the directions - is to soak the probe in storage solution for 2 hours. Later the directions say it can be stored in storage solution OR 7.01 buffer.

So - could I use 7.01 buffer for the initial soak?

The 7.01 will work, so will water. The main thing is to keep the electrode wet.

I have an EcoSense pH10A that advises using 4.01 for long term storage.

The direction say in big friendly letters not to store in DI water. Should I use tap water?

For the initial soak, you can use bottled “drinking water.” I’ve activated several probes this way. Do not use tap water, because of the chlorine. Note that the soaking time given in the instructions is a minimum.

You can also use bottled drinking water for storage. I have the same model and this is what I do. Of course you could use buffer solution if you want to. My father-in-law (a chemistry PhD) suggested using 4.0 for storage.

I had problems over time due to an inadequate cleaning procedure. Apparently wort is pretty hard on these (or at least this one in particular). After each use be sure to soak it in white vinegar for a minute or two, then rinse and move it to your storage solution. This is the advice that the support guy at Milwaukee gave me.

[quote=“mrv”]The 7.01 will work, so will water. The main thing is to keep the electrode wet.

I have an EcoSense pH10A that advises using 4.01 for long term storage.[/quote]

+1 to the message that avoiding electrode dry out is important. Using either of the calibration solutions or water that has some ionic content, is good. But make no assumption that this is preferred or beneficial in the long term. Using a proper storage solution with its necessary ionic content, is far better for storing the probe to keep it wet AND to avoid leaching the ions out of the probe.

Use storage solution, its not expensive and it extends the life of your costly instrument.

Thanks all for the guidance. Since I don’t have storage solution and no place to get it in town I’ll start with drinking water so I can use it today, and add storage solution to my next NB order.