Oxygen regulator for weld tanks

I was wondering if there was a big difference between the oxygen regulators for weld tanks that all the different brew suppliers carry.

I’ve seen big ranges in prices. From $19.99 at Williams Brewing to $51.99 from NB to everything in between.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN-R ... -P700.aspx http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart ... lator.html http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cata ... /?q=oxygen http://morebeer.com/view_product/16606/ ... nks_w_Barb

Any recommendations?

Ideally you want a regulator that includes a guage so you can control the flow rate.

I cannot seem to locate one for the portable tanks with a gauge.

They all look the same to me, so I’d go with the cheapest.

[quote=“Shadetree”]Ideally you want a regulator that includes a guage so you can control the flow rate.[/quote]I’ve never seen a regulator for a disposable tank with a gauge, of course I haven’t really looked that hard for one.

+1 Which is why I got a small medical tank and regulator/guage. If you want to use the little tanks, you can get a feel for the flow rate by setting and marking the regulator knob and filling up a 1L plastic bag and timing it.

+1 Which is why I got a small medical tank and regulator/guage. If you want to use the little tanks, you can get a feel for the flow rate by setting and marking the regulator knob and filling up a 1L plastic bag and timing it.[/quote]

What time do you look for? You could also add a bit of acetylene and a fuse. :wink: Just bad advice.

You want the time it takes to fill the 1L bag, then you know where to set the valve to get 1L of O2.

I’m more into a cost effective alternative than a medical cylinder and a regulator.

So I’m guessing any of those would be okay? The recommendation on filling up a 1 liter bag to determine flow rate is good.

[quote=“Edward”]I’m more into a cost effective alternative than a medical cylinder and a regulator.[/quote]If you can find a cylinder and regulator on craigslist or eBay you will likely spend less on them plus one O2 refill than you will on the equivalent amount of O2 in the little Bernzomatic bottles. My cylinder is 1.5 lbs and costs $10 to fill - that’s like 17 1.4-oz Bernzo bottles at $7-$10 each.[quote=“Edward”]So I’m guessing any of those would be okay?[/quote]Yes, just buy the cheapest. And if you don’t have a stone already, get the kind on the stainless wand - it makes swirling the O2 through the wort much easier.

i looked into a few options, first i called the local gas supply store (for welding) altogether for the tank and flow meter it was like 200 dollars but then i know i can exchange the tanks… the other option i was looking at was off of amazon they have many options, but i dont think you can fill medical O2 without a license… after looking at both options i couldnt decide. dunno if that helps at all

When you take the medical tank to the welding shop, they’ll put a new sticker on it to make it non-medical. Be aware though, that a medical tank will often have a different valve on it, so you’ll have to have the welding shop replace it, which will cost a bit - look for an O2 tank with a CGA-type valve and you won’t have to change it out.

I got a 20cf welding oxygen tank on eBay a couple years ago for like $75 shipped… and a regulator for around $25. I get mine filled at a scuba diving shop.

I bought a medical oxygen tank with regulator off eBay about a year ago. It was shipped with a considerable amount of O2 in it (which is a HUGE no no) so I didn’t have to get it filled right away. I spent all morning today going from welding gas suppliers to medical oxygen suppliers and no one will touch it. Most welding gas shops don’t deal in medical O2 and the medical guys want you to have a prescription in order to fill it.

So, I’m out $45, which is not a big deal since it had enough gas in it to last me a year. My next move it to buy a used welding O2 tank, regulator, and flow meter. I wouldn’t bother, but I noticed a significant decrease in lag time when I started using O2. Also, I used the crappy cylinders from the big box stores, but they’re a rip off.

Moral of the story, if you find a cheap medical O2 cylinder; stay away. You’ll be lucky if you ever get it filled.

[quote=“Truckie1”]Moral of the story, if you find a cheap medical O2 cylinder; stay away. You’ll be lucky if you ever get it filled.[/quote]I think the moral of the story is that if you live in Kalamazoo, stay away, but if you live somewhere else, maybe call around to your local welding shops and ask if they will re-fill for you before you spend the money. You might try calling a shop in another town, though, see if it’s just Kalamazoo that’s the problem.

When you take the medical tank to the welding shop, they’ll put a new sticker on it to make it non-medical. Be aware though, that a medical tank will often have a different valve on it, so you’ll have to have the welding shop replace it, which will cost a bit - look for an O2 tank with a CGA-type valve and you won’t have to change it out.[/quote]

Also on any tank check if the hydro test is up to date otherwise you’ll pay for that and have to leave it with them (LWS) until done.