Only 100 gallons a year?

i was looking into the legality of distilling and i came across this federal law…

http://www.ttb.gov/beer/25_205.htm

…just putting it out there

[quote=“jonthegreat”]i was looking into the legality of distilling and i came across this federal law…

…just putting it out there[/quote]

Get a roommate and do 200 gallons!

The other homebrewing laws are worse than that. Can’t transport it. Can’t be consumed anywhere or by anyone but you in your own house.

Not entirely unreasonable, and certainly unenforceable. Several states have more stringent laws too.

I would have never thought last January that I would ever get any where close to 100 gallons. I was wrong, I will be doing my 21st 5 gal batch this weekend. And this was with starting in late January and with two months off due to a move.

HA! I thought the same thing. I was like “100 gallons! That’s a lot of beer. No way I’ll brew that much”. Well, last week was my 1yr anniversary of home brewing and batch 28 is fermenting as I type this. That’s 140 gallons! I’m married, so my legal limit is actually 200 gallons. I’ll have to thank my wife for being my wife when I get home.

Yes we married folks have an advantage.

Plus you can make another 200gal of wine, so you can stay drunk all the time if you care to.

HA! I thought the same thing. I was like “100 gallons! That’s a lot of beer. No way I’ll brew that much”. Well, last week was my 1yr anniversary of home brewing and batch 28 is fermenting as I type this. That’s 140 gallons! I’m married, so my legal limit is actually 200 gallons. I’ll have to thank my wife for being my wife when I get home.[/quote]

Here’s to our lady friends.

cheers!

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Yes we married folks have an advantage.

Plus you can make another 200gal of wine, so you can stay drunk all the time if you care to.[/quote]

My thoughts on wine are that I can buy a good bottle of inexpensive wine. <$10. But good beer is getting more and more expensive all the time. Around where I live, 6packs of good craft beer range from $8 on the cheap end up to $12-$13. It’s crazy what craft breweries are charging for beer these days. I used to read articles about BMC and how they rule the beer industry in America. Well now there a LOT of breweries making very good beer. But they are charging so much for it, that I don’t sympathize with them anymore. I’m glad there are choices and I’m glad there are breweries all over America making damn good beer, but they are also charging damn high prices. So no more crying about Budweiser having such a huge market share. They do that by selling their stuff cheap (and ridiculous amounts of advertising). Still doesn’t mean I’ll drink that swill though.

Ok, stepping down off my soapbox.

It is amazing, I design a sports bar chain the the DC area. 5 years ago, everything was BMC. Now they have mostly craft brews on tap. Their normal domestic sales are SO much lower than before

Yeah, but a roommate does the same thing for you and they tend to be a lot lower-maintenance. :wink:

Yeah, but a roommate does the same thing for you and they tend to be a lot lower-maintenance. :wink: [/quote]

True, but my I don’t have to worry about coming home to an empty keg :wink: I’m guessing brewers with male roommates have had that happen once or twice in their lives. My wife doesn’t drink much… but does like the occasional wheat beer.

Yeah, but a roommate does the same thing for you and they tend to be a lot lower-maintenance. :wink: [/quote]
They also tend to drink a lot more “free” beer

[quote=“jonthegreat”]i was looking into the legality of distilling and i came across this federal law…

…just putting it out there[/quote]
That’s not distilling though.

The law in Colorado is that the “head of the household” can brew. Luckily SWMBO lets me be HOH on brewday! :lol:

This is news?

My wife does things for me that I would never ask of a male roommate. :smiley: Cooking, laundry, etc.

[quote=“dobe12”]
My thoughts on wine are that I can buy a good bottle of inexpensive wine. <$10. But good beer is getting more and more expensive all the time. Around where I live, 6packs of good craft beer range from $8 on the cheap end up to $12-$13. It’s crazy what craft breweries are charging for beer these days. I used to read articles about BMC and how they rule the beer industry in America. Well now there a LOT of breweries making very good beer. But they are charging so much for it, that I don’t sympathize with them anymore. I’m glad there are choices and I’m glad there are breweries all over America making damn good beer, but they are also charging damn high prices. So no more crying about Budweiser having such a huge market share. They do that by selling their stuff cheap (and ridiculous amounts of advertising). Still doesn’t mean I’ll drink that swill though.

Ok, stepping down off my soapbox.[/quote]

While I understand what you are saying…making wine at home (with a kit from NB) equates to roughly 2.50 per bottle…and that’s the high end pricing! Not a bad idea if you already have all the equip to make…plus it makes a great gift if you are a cheap-o like me

:cheers:

[quote=“shredd3r”][quote=“dobe12”]

Ok, stepping down off my soapbox.[/quote]

While I understand what you are saying…making wine at home (with a kit from NB) equates to roughly 2.50 per bottle…and that’s the high end pricing! Not a bad idea if you already have all the equip to make…plus it makes a great gift if you are a cheap-o like me

:cheers: [/quote]

I hear ya. I’ve had a lot of bad homemade wine though… and a lot of good homemade beer.
And I’ve been told by makers of both wine and beer that good wine and bad beer are both hard to make. But bad wine and good beer are both easy.

I think good homemade wine isn’t hard to make you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and start with good fruit.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”] Here’s to our lady friends.
cheers![/quote]
Agreed! But, my wife will make a dent in a keg just as fast as me. :wink:

does anyone know what the definition of a “household” is? I own a duplex and have family living in the other unit.