Nottingham dry yeast

Ive used a lot Fermentis S-04 but I want to try Nottingham. What can I expect in a 1046 cream ale?

Nottingham is a great yeast. Fairly clean but just a little fruity. Attenuation is always exactly 77-78%, no matter what your mash temperature or whether you used extract or crystal malts or anything, so your final gravity will most likely be exactly 1.010. I think you’ll be happy with it. And you can ferment it cool down in the low 60s or even upper 50s if you want.

I stopped using Notty because I detect a tartness to it that I don’t care for.

Agreed, same with s-04. The tang/tart works in porters and bitters but I personally don’t like it in pale beers.

Cream ale I would stick to US-05 if you are only opting for dry yeast (BRY 97 is ok, but S-05 is a much more reliable version of Chico/Sierra). If liquid, any American Ale, WLP002, WLP 005, WLP013 (not my favorite), Wyeast British Ale III (one of my favorites) or maybe even a kolsch yeast.

I brew a hoppier cream ale (American Pub Ale or Blonde I guess) with S-05 and it is the favorite of just about everyone to whom I’ve served my beers. I ferment at 60 for the first few days then jack it up.

I have picked up on this a couple of times. But not every time. And my most recent experiences with it has been fairly positive.

I have had better success with Notty than with 04.

I have picked up on this a couple of times. But not every time. And my most recent experiences with it has been fairly positive.

I have had better success with Notty than with 04.[/quote]

04 is too bready for my tastes. I used 05 pretty frequently for a while, but then I did a side by side with 1056. In a blind tasting, I preferred 1056 every time, so now I just keep 05 around for emergencies.

04 is too bready for my tastes. I used 05 pretty frequently for a while, but then I did a side by side with 1056. In a blind tasting, I preferred 1056 every time, so now I just keep 05 around for emergencies.[/quote]

And in the case of British yeast, I would take wyeast ESB strain over anything dry most of time. But Dry is handy.

I also recently tried s-33. Did not work out at all. Not sure what went wrong, but I had to dump the batch.

04 is too bready for my tastes. I used 05 pretty frequently for a while, but then I did a side by side with 1056. In a blind tasting, I preferred 1056 every time, so now I just keep 05 around for emergencies.[/quote]

Blind triangle test? I only ask because while I have never done a true side by side, I have several professional sensory analysis-oriented BJCP friends (one is a professional distiller and one is QC/doemans-certified brewer for New Belgium) who swear that there are no differences, all else equal.

Yep, blind triangle. The 05 has a touch of peach/apricot that the 1056 doesn’t have. And even if they finish at the same OG, the body on the 05 beer is thinner.

1 Like

Oh Nottingham and I have never made great beer together drinkable yes but nothing great I agree with Denny some strange tartness to it… I used it about 10 batches of beer changing temps and nothing seemed to help that strange tartness to it.

Time for an apricot wheat ale? :slight_smile:

Time for an apricot wheat ale? :slight_smile: [/quote]

Not for me…

Oh come on Denny. From other posts I’ve read you seem like a fruity wheat beer kinda guy! :o

Denny ’ s ideal ale involves notty and a heavy dosage of Willamette. Smash it and you are right in denny’S wheelhouse.

Notty for darker ales and high gravity works well. It is cleaner then most British yeasts but I have to agree with the tartness. I tried it once in a low gravity bitter and was disappointed. 04 is much more pleasant…if you dig the bread. I’d try the notty at least once though…For science!

[quote=“Vista”]Denny ’ s ideal ale involves notty and a heavy dosage of Willamette. Smash it and you are right in denny’S wheelhouse.

Notty for darker ales and high gravity works well. It is cleaner then most British yeasts but I have to agree with the tartness. I tried it once in a low gravity bitter and was disappointed. 04 is much more pleasant…if you dig the bread. I’d try the notty at least once though…For science![/quote]

I agree whole heartedly with vista. notty is good with darker beers, 04 lighter ones.