No-Sparge brewing

I’m doing a monster brewday tomorrow (2 beers - 1 10 gallon and 5 gallon) and wanted to try the no sparge method on the smaller 5 gallon batch. Does anyone have a calculation they use to determine the amount of water to be used for a no-sparge batch?

Thanks!

The amount of water shouldn’t change relative to brewing with a sparge, the total amount needed will be the amount you want in the kettle + the amount the grain holds back(which will be the same whether there’s a sparge or not). That said I think some no sparge brewers may not add all the water at once, holding some back until the end of the mash to keep the mash thickness and/or ph where they want it. I haven’t done a no sparge as of yet so I’m not too sure about that part of it.

[quote=“BPBCo”]The amount of water shouldn’t change relative to brewing with a sparge, the total amount needed will be the amount you want in the kettle + the amount the grain holds back(which will be the same whether there’s a sparge or not).[/quote]Yep, same amount of total water either way.

Check out Kai’s info. He also has a calculator with it. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti … _Simulator

I’m too late, but:
Water to add = (desired pre-boil volume) + (grain in pounds x 0.12) + dead volume of tun

Usually I add enough water to get up around 2 qt/#, then add the remaining volume to do an alpha amylase rest at the end of the mash. You can also just add the full volume at the start, for a very easy mash.