Newbie question

Hi all. I am very new to winemaking so I’m sure I will be visiting here a lot! My first question is:can I use a 6 gallon bucket for a 3 gallon recipe for primary fermentation? Thanks in advance!

Yes you can for primary. However you will want to eliminate the headspace when you rack to the clearing stage. I would recommend that you get a 3 gal carboy for secondary to help with headspace.

[/quote]
Yes you can for primary. However you will want to eliminate the headspace when you rack to the clearing stage. I would recommend that you get a 3 gal carboy for secondary to help with headspace.[/quote]
Thanks Josh! I already have a 3 gallon carboy. I just wanted to make sure the 6 gallon was ok for the primary.

The only thing to be conscious about is that the diameter of the 6 gal carboy will make your wine spread out more making it hard to rack without leaving a ton behind. If I were you I would tilt the carboy a day in advance to racking to minimize this.

Great tip. Thanks!

I sure like this advise you offered and I now plan to make a wood rack that will hold the 6-gal carboy at a slight angle prior to racking.