New recipe book

If Experimental Brewing has the Bourbon Vanilla Porter recipe in it, I’m on it. I know, I can find it on-line, but my other hobby is carrying on the nutty yet rich tradition of prepping my bombshelter, and I’d be lost, so terribly lost, without that recipe.

Yes, it does, along with the story of how the recipe came about.

Well, the whole idea I guess is to get you spot close enough. Brew a beer that you can’t have in your area? Where do you start.
Even though I’ve had certain beers on the list I’m intrigued by the others.
The hope is that I can come close to a clone,whatever beer recipe that’s out there.

Even no clone. I get to drink very good beer. Sometimes even better. Yep.

Reason I really like books like this is I find it hugely helpful to reference solid recipes when building ones of my own. I’ll certainly brew clone recipes as is at times but often I like to see how beers are getting certain flavors and then adopt it to slightly different grains, hops, styles, etc. Good example for me is Surly’s Bitter Brewer, really like how they use golden naked oats and never would have though to use glacier like that recipe does. I’ve used those ideas in several other beers.

I can explain the multiple writers.

I was contracted to write the book. It proved easier to get brewers to agree to provide recipes than to actually deliver them. It took longer than expected. After writing the intros and completing about 2/3 of the recipes I was running up against the publisher’s deadline and I was starting a project that would prevent me from working on the book for 2 months. In order to get it done Voyageur Press contacted the others to gather additional recipes. And there you have it.

As to my brewing credentials - you haven’t seen my name on competition winner lists because I haven’t entered competition in 3 or 4 years. I lost interest in it. But I have a rack of medals on my office wall from when I was regularly entering, including a gold medal for Bohemian Pilsner at the NHC.

Michael Agnew

Thank you Michael for your reply.

As I corrected myself early on, I was premature to jump on you. Their are a few very new authors/ bloggers/ cicerone’s doing some shady/ weird self “promotions” in the twin cites that seemed astray from the norm of the hobby/ craft etc… It is these mooks alone that has peeved me off lately to say the least possible and I grouped you with this lot. So again all apologies and I look forward to your book.

It’s

I think its very helpful for me as a beer lover guy. i collected this must . :cheers:

Very nice read. I would like to be first to say this book is worth a look, it will also help newer brewers understand some principles of sound recipe formulation as it is written directly to extract brewers with side notes for all-grain interpretation so it shows both methods but reads easier for the novice/ extract brewer firstly and also peers into the all grain grist then used most typically. In addition most brewers gave very helpful insight to their methods/ ideas in the craft.

I was very happy with the Breweries chosen and/ or the Breweries that chose to share these recipes with us.
I can assume just from recipe/s breakdown shown that these recipes can be relied upon to closely emulate the originals.
I have four in mind right away.

A. Epic/ Spiral Jetty: Looks like a great recipe and have never sampled it.

B. Tallgrass/ 8-Bit: Looks like a great recipe and makes sense to what I have sampled and will enjoy a fresh homebrewed keg soon. ( I dont mind the retail cans but this recipe release reinforces the need for a retail sixtel in rotation soon also. )

C. Troegs/ Nugget Nectar: Looks like a great recipe, have never sampled it and have never used nugget so this seems like a perfect recipe to see nuggets aroma/ taste.

D. Schells pils: Looks exactly like what I taste and plan to buy a sixtel of the 2014 pils also to keep the pilsner tap rolling and make this recipe very soon after I finish a bunch of ales this spring.

Great lineup of beers. In my experience however, scaling brewery’s recipes down to my 10 gallon system isn’t the best way to “clone” a beer. There are far too many process differences from brewery to brewery, even of the same size, let alone ones that are several orders of magnitude different in size. I still think it’s worth checking out for the reasons described above-- it’s great to see how breweries approach their recipes.

I agree in theory. But the recipes I’ve tried from the book are VERY close to the originals.

I received this book as a gift a few weeks ago. It’s a winner. I really enjoyed both the recipes and the brewery profiles. I’m going to try out the Red Eye Thrust recipe in a couple of weeks. I’m curious anout how the IBUs were calculated, though. I plugged it into Beersmith and the IBUs were way lower than the published 75 IBUs. Maybe its how they are calculating the FWH? My concern is whether I should be ading a small 60 minute addition to hit the target IBUs. Denny, I don’t suppose this is one you were involved with?
Great book overall. Highly recommended.

[quote=“Joel5000”]I received this book as a gift a few weeks ago. It’s a winner. I really enjoyed both the recipes and the brewery profiles. I’m going to try out the Red Eye Thrust recipe in a couple of weeks. I’m curious anout how the IBUs were calculated, though. I plugged it into Beersmith and the IBUs were way lower than the published 75 IBUs. Maybe its how they are calculating the FWH? My concern is whether I should be ading a small 60 minute addition to hit the target IBUs. Denny, I don’t suppose this is one you were involved with?
Great book overall. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Nope, I didn’t work on that one. Could it be the way BS calculates FWH?

Love the idea of this book, but I’m a little confused by the Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ clone. Here are the odd things I see:

• Original beer label says 64.2 IBUs, but the recipe lists 34.7
  • OG on the label says 1.076, but recipe says 1.070
  • All grain instructions say to reduce hop additions, but they say to reduce to the same amount that is in the extract recipe.

I can’t help my neuroses, I work in QA. I get that some of the differences are minor, but the IBU discrepancy has me concerned. Does Lagunitas count dry hopping more than we do?

Wish I could help you, but I don’t know which of the contributors that recipe came from. Maybe if you email the publisher they could put you in touch.

[quote=“Joel5000”]I received this book as a gift a few weeks ago. It’s a winner. I really enjoyed both the recipes and the brewery profiles. I’m going to try out the Red Eye Thrust recipe in a couple of weeks. I’m curious anout how the IBUs were calculated, though. I plugged it into Beersmith and the IBUs were way lower than the published 75 IBUs. Maybe its how they are calculating the FWH? My concern is whether I should be ading a small 60 minute addition to hit the target IBUs. Denny, I don’t suppose this is one you were involved with?
Great book overall. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Finally got around to brewing the Red Eye Thrust! recently, and I tapped it this week. Its only been in
the keg about 2 weeks, so it is still a little green, but very promising so far. Really nice citrus hop flavor and aroma from the nearly 6 oz of dry hops. This book is a winner. Planning to try the Oakshire Watershed IPA recipe next; that’s probably my current favorite commercial IPA.

Yeah, I love Watershed, too, which is why I asked Matt to contribute the recipe. Oakshire is extremely homebrewer friendly!

I’ve got that on the to do list, too. I was pleased to find a six-pack of that when I was in Seattle last summer, as I always loved Matt’s IPAs when he was at Flossmoor Station.

I’ve got that on the to do list, too. I was pleased to find a six-pack of that when I was in Seattle last summer, as I always loved Matt’s IPAs when he was at Flossmoor Station.[/quote]

Oakshire is doing their Single Batch Festival today…wish I could go.

Unfortunately neither of my regular homebrew supply shops carry the Castle CaraRuby called for in the recipe. Thinking of subbing caravienne.

Thanks for bumping this thread; I had completely forgotten this was out. Just added it to my Amazon cart.
Denny - only wish it was a signed copy :slight_smile: