New recipe book

My question was about the autograph only, the book comes separate.
I can imagine exactly what kind of autograph you’d get for that bottle of beer. :oops:

How so?[/quote]

Yeah, we’re talking a simple barter arrangement here.

Well tried to get a copy of your book this weekend at barns n noble. Was realy hoping to grab a early copy, but they are not gettin any till 1/15/14.

“Experimental Brewing, co authored by Drew Beechum and me”

Denny, Whats up with this^

Still going to be a go or did this book mentioned today take its place?

I cannot remember what forum or thread I saw that you mentioned many brewers/ recipes to be published and were asking for feedback. Was this alluding to the book listed today? Also where do I find that thread or list.
The only one I remember offhand was Schells. Which brings question, did one of you authors consult directly with the brewer and try to scale down as closely as possible then?

I have heard of M. Agnew from his self proclaimed beer somm deal and I am very active in the twin cities being a brewer for close to 20 years and in the retail beer/ fine wine arena for close to the same and have never heard of this guy being a expert brewer, I see its noted he is an award winning brewer. Where? I see most all comp results around here and have never even seen his name in the top threes. Its one thing to proclaim yourself an expert on being able to “taste” or write about beer its very far down the road to being a top level brewer. That’s again why I question who actually did the recipe development.

As I trust yourself or others that have proven that they actually brew as close to pro as possible within our confines and actually help our craft without needing a fee from new consumers or brewers first and then he will “educate” you?. That why I assumed yourself or Drew were the authors of said recipe book, you mentioned somewhere as questioned. Now I see this book being authored by numerous people that sound like wagon jumpers to me. 5-6 authors including yourself? I would rather support yourself alone or somebody like Drew that has a “hand” in the game to be honest with you. Not some self proclaimed beer nerds. I apologize for the rant but this guy along with others of his nature rub me the wrong way with the hyper self actualization that now commands fee/s in order to help everyone in the scene. Sorry but that’s the way I see it.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]“Experimental Brewing, co authored by Drew Beechum and me”

I cannot remember what forum or thread I saw that mentioned many brewers/ recipes to be published. Was this alluding to the book listed today? Also where do I find that thread or list.
The only one I remember offhand was Schells. Which brings question, did one of you authors consult directly with the brewer and try to scale down as closely as possible then?

I have heard of M. Agnew from his self proclaimed beer somm deal and I am very active in the twin cities being a brewer for close to 20 years and in the retail beer/ fine wine arena for close to the same and have never heard of this guy being a expert brewer. Its one thing to proclaim yourself an expert on being able to “taste” or write about beer its very far down the road to being a top level brewer. That’s again why I question who actually did the recipe development. As I trust yourself or others that have proven that they actually brew as close to pro as possible within our confines. That why I assumed yourself or Drew were the authors of said recipe book, you mentioned somewhere as questioned. Now I see this book being authored by numerous people that sound like wagon jumpers to me. 5-6 authors including yourself? I would rather support yourself alone or somebody like Drew that has a “hand” in the game to be honest with you. Not some self proclaimed beer nerds. Sorry but that’s the way I see it.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he has another book with Drew coming out next year. I think it is called experiential brewing.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/content ... ewing-book

Thanks for the reply G but this all specifically speaks to Denny and a post he made that listed many breweries and recipes that were to be included and I am asking where to find said list or to ascertain which book those recipes were going into then.

Ok, so with further review I retract my rant/ post as it was unfounded. Part of it,Hint hint the uppity fellow mentioned below just peeves me off with his self righteous “help” to our craft.
Michael Agnew is well recognized in the twin cities and I have met him a few times and all is well.
I for some reason had another joker in mind that is “certified cicerone” and is running around the city with his beer geek neck chopped off charging for his time/ advice which is largely worthless unless you respect the fact all someone knows about beer is what they taste. You or I can do that without help I think. And it seems that he has largely gone by the wayside (TG). While M. Agnew is doing plenty in the community to enhance our craft. All apologies.

But I do stand by my statement of wonder, why so many authors for what shouldn’t be that hard of a book to compile. Did each author via there geography gather a certain number of breweries recipes and then all collaborated the mass together to lower the cost of one guy going to each and every brewery by himself or something?

I cannot remember what forum or thread I saw that you mentioned many brewers/ recipes to be published and were asking for feedback. Was this alluding to the book listed today? Also where do I find that thread or list.

I have heard of M. Agnew from his self proclaimed beer somm deal and I am very active in the twin cities being a brewer for close to 20 years and in the retail beer/ fine wine arena for close to the same and have never heard of this guy being a expert brewer, I see its noted he is an award winning brewer. Where? I see most all comp results around here and have never even seen his name in the top threes. Its one thing to proclaim yourself an expert on being able to “taste” or write about beer its very far down the road to being a top level brewer. That’s again why I question who actually did the recipe development.

As I trust yourself or others that have proven that they actually brew as close to pro as possible within our confines and actually help our craft without needing a fee from new consumers or brewers first and then he will “educate” you?. That why I assumed yourself or Drew were the authors of said recipe book, you mentioned somewhere as questioned. Now I see this book being authored by numerous people that sound like wagon jumpers to me. 5-6 authors including yourself? I would rather support yourself alone or somebody like Drew that has a “hand” in the game to be honest with you. Not some self proclaimed beer nerds. I apologize for the rant but this guy along with others of his nature rub me the wrong way with the hyper self actualization that now commands fee/s in order to help everyone in the scene. Sorry but that’s the way I see it.[/quote]

This is a different book. Experimental Brewing will be out next Nov.

I contributed few recipes to Craft Beer for the Homebrewer. It’s from the same publisher as experimental Brewing and they asked me to participate. I have never met Agnew and knew nothing about him when I was asked to participate. All the recipes came from the brewers themselves and were rescaled by each of us.

It took that many people because each person had different brewery contacts. You’d be surprised how many breweries were contacted that didn’t want to share info. If you think it shouldn’t be that hard, you should try it yourself.

NONO, Don’t you go razzing me. LOL It was the actual writing of the book itself not 5 guys seeking out recipes that made me question why so many in the deal.
I have tried many times and its a 50/50 game. Some are super helpful and understand its still a “set and setting” game and no one is running to the bank with their proprietary info. Others hide these “secrets” in fort knox.

That is why the Schells name stuck with me and I should have pinned that post you made. Every time I have had any dealings with them as a consumer or retailer it is always a pleasure and Dave Berg is a great brewer and Ted Marti and his sons are very good at their craft/ business.

Looking forward to seeing just these tidbits alone, not to mention the others. As I have some question about the 1984/ 2014 Pils recipe and what type of grist/ hops were being used. They have a great Pilsner pack coming out in spring that will include a Mandarina Barvaria hopped pils and roggen pils. Now thats a 12pk I will actually look forward to buying.

[quote=“Denny”]
It took that many people because each person had different brewery contacts. You’d be surprised how many breweries were contacted that didn’t want to share info. If you think it shouldn’t be that hard, you should try it yourself.[/quote]

You might have more luck if you do like a begger I ran into a couple of years ago. Take a small cute child dressed in dirty ragged clothing. Pity opens many a door.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]
It took that many people because each person had different brewery contacts. You’d be surprised how many breweries were contacted that didn’t want to share info. If you think it shouldn’t be that hard, you should try it yourself.[/quote]

You might have more luck if you do like a begger I ran into a couple of years ago. Take a small cute child dressed in dirty ragged clothing. Pity opens many a door.[/quote]

Please sir, I want some more… beer recipes.

Would he have to list Dickens as an author; or just re-title the book Oliver Twist-off?

Got the book for Christmas. Looking forward to it when it’s released in January. I enjoy Agnew’s writing and look forward to seeing what it has to offer.

Even though I’ve been brewing a while, I still can’t brew consistently enough to decipher what contributes what to what in a recipe. I’m hoping a book like this can help me understand better what drives different flavor profiles in different brews. If I could brew every weekend, I could do this myself by experimenting constantly. Unfortunately, I’m not that lucky.

I appreciate what is being done by this book. Thanks to the authors.

As I trust yourself or others that have proven that they actually brew as close to pro as possible within our confines and actually help our craft without needing a fee from new consumers or brewers first and then he will “educate” you?. That why I assumed yourself or Drew were the authors of said recipe book, you mentioned somewhere as questioned. Now I see this book being authored by numerous people that sound like wagon jumpers to me. 5-6 authors including yourself? I would rather support yourself alone or somebody like Drew that has a “hand” in the game to be honest with you. Not some self proclaimed beer nerds. I apologize for the rant but this guy along with others of his nature rub me the wrong way with the hyper self actualization that now commands fee/s in order to help everyone in the scene. Sorry but that’s the way I see it.[/quote]

WTF

[quote=“grainbelt”]
WTF[/quote]
I don’t take issue with questioning the author’s credentials. I’m not familiar with the level of technical brewing knowledge required to pass the Cicerone exam, but I imagine it’s more theoretical and doesn’t require meaningful first-hand brewing knowledge.

BUT…how hard can it be to accurately summarize the brewing process from second hand knowledge, introduce the styles and then fill the rest of the pages with recipes when you have guys like Denny handling the recipes?

I look forward to reading reviews when the book hits the streets. I’m much more interested in Denny’s book on experimental brewing.

Edit: fixed typo

FWIW, neither I nor any of the others formulated those recipes. We got them from the breweries and then scaled them.

There’s a giveaway for free books at https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show … rewmasters

[quote=“Denny”]FWIW, neither I nor any of the others formulated those recipes. We got them from the breweries and then scaled them.

There’s a giveaway for free books at https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show … rewmasters[/quote]
So you did the math. That’s worth something. :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, can you say what breweries are represented in the book?

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Denny”]FWIW, neither I nor any of the others formulated those recipes. We got them from the breweries and then scaled them.

There’s a giveaway for free books at https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show … rewmasters[/quote]
So you did the math. That’s worth something. :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, can you say what breweries are represented in the book?[/quote]

Thought I already had! Here’s the list of breweries and recipes…

CHAPTER 1: Pale Ales & IPAs…12
8-Bit, Tallgrass Brewing Company…14
Capt’n Crompton’s Pale Ale, Epic Brewing…18
Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Company…20
Furious, Surly Brewing Company…24
Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Brewing Company…26
Maharaja, Avery Brewing Company…30
Spiral Jetty, Epic Brewing …34
Thrust!, Red Eye Brewing Company…38
Watershed IPA, Oakshire Brewing…40
CHAPTER 2: Porter s & Stouts…44
Buffalo Sweat, Tallgrass Brewing Company…46
Malpais Stout, La Cumbre Brewing Company…48
Smoke, Surly Brewing Company…50
Snowstorm 2009 Baltic Porter, August Schell Brewing Company…54
CHAPTER 3: Wheat & Rye Beers…58
Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A., Shmaltz Brewing…60
Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale, Lagunitas Brewing Company…64
Rugbrød, The Bruery…66
Wiley’s Rye Ale, Stone Cellar Brewpub…70
CHAPTER 4: Belgians…74
Allagash Black, Allagash Brewing Company…76
Allagash Curieux, Allagash Brewing Company…80
Matacabras, Dave’s BrewFarm…82
Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks…84
Salvation, Avery Brewing Company…88
Scarlet 7, Red Eye Brewing Company…90
Saison Rue, The Bruery…94
CHAPTER 5: Other Ales…96
90 Shilling Ale, Odell Brewing Company…98
Dead Guy Ale, Rogue Ales…102
El Lector, Cigar City Brewing…106
Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Rogue Ales…110
Hellion, TRVE Brewing…112
Ill-Tempered Gnome, Oakshire Brewing…116
Imperial Red Ale, Marble Brewery…118
Kölsch 151, Blue Mountain Brewery…122
Levitation, Stone Brewing Company…126
Nugget Nectar, Tröegs Brewing Company…130
Xenu, Cigar City Brewing…134
CHAPTER 6: Lagers…136
Select, Dave’s BrewFarm…138
Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner, Shmaltz Brewing…142
Schell’s Pils, August Schell Brewing Company…144

Nugget Nectar…tasty stuff. I just saw that NN was being released soon and caught myself wishing I had the recipe since it’s not available in my market. Thanks Denny.