New Hop Variety-Belma

I’m planning a 100% Brett Trois IPA with Belma, Meridian, Mosaic and Caliente (AKA “New Breed IPA”) this spring. Should be interesting.

Any new tasting notes from this hop from those who have brewed with it yet?

I’m going to brew my house American Amber this weekend with Belma/Willamette blend for flavor/aroma.

Another week on the dry hops and I will keg mine and report back.

I have yet to brew with mine.

I’m satisfied with my Belma IPA, however I probably won’t make it again. The aroma off the fermenter when I racked to keg was very interesting. A little melon, a little strawberry, very different. It really almost smelled like fresh apple, but in a good way, not a cidery way.

Tasting notes…
It’s a very light tasting hop. A little bit fruity, but VERY subdued. Definitely not even close to a Citra or Galaxy. It would make a great APA mixed with some amarillo or something similar. I think it would work well in a cream ale as well. I might try that later this year, since I’ve got another pound to burn through…

My all Belma APA has turned out great and some people have gone as far as to say they like it better than the same recipe with all Cascades. The hop has a unique nose and the flavor is very different yet subdued. Well worth the $5.25 price tag for a pound.

Very interesting! I’m planning a big IPA inspired by NB’s Cascade Mountain. Maybe I’ll switch to Belma? I could still dry hop with Cascade if I’m not happy with the initial tastings before dry hopping.

It seems to have changed in a good way once it hit about 3 weeks in the keg.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]It seems to have changed in a good way once it hit about 3 weeks in the keg.[/quote]+1 Mine is more interesting now as the keg empties, with some berry and fruit notes. Not as amazing a hop as I thought it would be from the description, but definitely makes an enjoyable APA.

It’s good to see these comments. I feel a bit more interested in using mine now. When I do, I’ll plan on letting it condition in the keg for a few weeks before tapping.

How do you guys feel it would work in an American style wheat? I like to use Glacier for the apricot/peach character, but berry sounds intriguing.

I think it would work quite well in a wheat. Great idea!

Seconded… Should go really well in a wheat. I certainly won’t stop using Belma hops, but I won’t be trying to showcase them either.