New Hop Variety-Belma

[quote=“MullerBrau”]If it sucks after a few weeks in the kegs, I wll dry hop the kegs with Cascade.[/quote]I doubt it will suck, especially if you don’t go in thinking you’re going to get something close to Citra - I did some more sampling last night and it’s good, just not a hop bomb like I usually enjoy. I was thinking about drinking half of it as-is, then bringing the rest to room temp and keghopping with something else - I was thinking about Cascade, too, seems like it would go together nicely and I have a lb of 2013 leaf that came in with the Belma.

[quote=“Shadetree”]… and I have a lb of 2013 leaf that came in with the Belma.[/quote]LOL, they have not even grown the 2013 hops yet. :wink:

I agree that Cascade should compliment Belma.

Thanks for the update Shade. I’ll hold off on the single hop brew with this. Probably make an APA this weekend using Belma for the bittering charge and maybe mixed with some Cascade/Centennial for later additions.

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“Shadetree”]… and I have a lb of 2013 leaf that came in with the Belma.[/quote]LOL, they have not even grown the 2013 hops yet.[/quote]I have a contact who can time travel… :wink:

[quote=“airlocksniffer”]I’ll hold off on the single hop brew with this. Probably make an APA this weekend using Belma for the bittering charge and maybe mixed with some Cascade/Centennial for later additions.[/quote]To be clear, I’m not saying don’t do it, just that the result, while a fine example of an APA, is not what I wanted from the hop and doesn’t fit my usual profile. You might really like it if you’re into Liberty Ale or any other APA/IPA on the mild side.

They made an excellent pale ale!

[quote=“MESOHOPPY”]They made an excellent pale ale![/quote]I’m makng my Belma pale ale before the year is up. Probably next Monday when I’m taking my last vacation day.

I made an IPA with all Belma hops thinking it would be like citra hops. It wasn’t. I used 1 oz at 20,15,10 and 5 mins. It was earthy, very little citrus flavor, very little fruit flavor.

It was ok but not what I expected.

I did another with .5 oz citra, .5 amarillo at 20 min. 1.0 oz belma at 15 min. .5 citra, .5 amarillo at10 min, .5 oz citra, .5 amarillo, 1.0 oz belma at 5 min.

The belma hops added a nice background to the citra and amarillo and i will brew it again.

Very helpful info wheeliebrew. Thanks and welcome to the forum. I will use my pound of Belma hops next Monday.

Just brewed up a 10 gallon batch of a Belma IPA on Saturday night. Crazy brew night, not a lot of fun due to some non-brewing related stuff that popped up.

my recipe:
24 lbs Rahr 2-row
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb Crystal 10

3 oz. Columbus FWH
3 oz Belma @ 20
3 oz Belma @ 15
3 oz Belma @ 10
3 oz Belma @ 5

Pitched S-05 yeast

Plan on dry hopping with a couple ounces of Belma in each fermenter as well.

I’ll update with my findings as well. And yes, that is a lot of hops, but at $5 a pound , why not?

I did 22 gallons all Belma yesterday.

28 lbs 2-row
3 lbs C-15
2 lbs Carapils

2 tabs Whirlfloc 5m
Wyeast Nutrient 5m

2 oz Belma 60m
2 oz Belma 15m
2 oz Belma 5m
2 oz Belma 0m
4 oz Belma DRY HOP in secondary
4 oz Belma DRY HOP in kegs

I did an all belma apa just dry hopped with 4oz belma last night. Will get back when all done and kegged.

Belma APA
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.7
Total Grain (lb): 11.500
Total Hops (oz): 9.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 47.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill

10.500 lb Pale Ale Malt (91.3%)
0.500 lb Carapils (Dextrine) (4.35%)
0.500 lb Crystal 40 (4.35%)

Hop Bill

0.50 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
4.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 14 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Just racked mine ino the secondaries last night. The SG was 1.010 and it is now going to sit with oz Belma dry hops for two weeks.

How did it smell?

Anything discernible?

I’ve got a pound in the freezer and I’m curious as well.

Probably be a month or so before I get to brew with them.

Prost

[quote=“Duder”]How did it smell?

Anything discernible?

I’ve got a pound in the freezer and I’m curious as well.

Probably be a month or so before I get to brew with them.

Prost[/quote]i was busy brewing so I didn’t spend much time with it. Smelled normal maybe sweet orange pineapple like.

Cool.

Seems like the current thoughts are this might not be the “next big thing”. But $5 a pound why not give them a spin. :shock:

Prost

Just got a newsletter from Hops Direct with an article by a pro brewer who says that his Belma IPA is super-strawberry. He thinks it might be an interaction with their yeast. I’m not getting anything special off these hops at all.

Yeah I read it too. Sounds like an interesting hop to try with Brett…

i didnt get that hop punch i wanted after dry-hopping with belma so after drinking half of the keg i tossed in an oz of cascade within 1 hour id tasted better for me.

I’ve only used it so far as bittering in an APA. Not bad, pretty clean bitterness. May do well mixed in with some Cascade or Centennial in later additions.