New Hop Variety-Belma

http://www.hopsdirect.com/leaf/

And cheap to boot!!

Sounds pretty tasty, but a terrible name. Here, try my Belma pale ale. Goes great with ovaltine and shuffleboard…

I just bought a Lb of it along with some other varieties so I guess Ill find out how it tastes.

I actually think I will use it to make Mullerbrau’s Two Hearted Clone.

Looked interesting enough to get two lbs, especially at that price.

what was the shipping on that? It is pretty cheap and sounds interesting enough.

I checked on 5 lbs and it ended up being about $7.50/lb with shipping to MT but YMMV.

It seems shipping alone on one pound would be $10 and change for Fedex ground. That seems a bit high for 1 pound.
I may pass on these until next season after buying up a couple new varieties lately.

Shipping three lbs to Texas cost $12.

I ordered 3lbs as well, FWIW shipping to MO cost me $15.48.
Hopefully, the melon won’t come through.

3lbs to MN was $11 and change.

Damn, I’m getting screwed on shipping it seems. It would cost nearly $15 to ship one pound to RI. I really hope that this stays in stock until they get their pellets in from this year’s crop, because I can’t justify paying that much to just ship 5 bucks worth of hops.

[quote=“erockrph”]…because I can’t justify paying that much to just ship 5 bucks worth of hops.[/quote]Buy three lbs (or more) and spread the shipping out.

Right on Shadetree! I don’t know what the weight limit is but there’s a sliding scale. The shipping on 1-10 pounds is a certain rate, maybe $10. From 10-25 pounds may be $15 and so forth. Being that they’re located in Washington, the further away you’re located is gonna cost more, sorry Easterners. Do a search for ‘shipping rate map’ and you can see the different zones. For the most part, t’s all about weight and distance depending on the shipper. Hop On!!

Which is why I’m waiting for this year’s pellet crop to come in. I don’t like to use leaf hops unless I have to.

There are too many new hop varieties that I’m planning to try out this year, I can’t bring myself to buy more than 8-16oz of any of them to decide if it’s a keeper for me. I’m already got plans for El Dorado, Polaris, Summer, Meridian and possibly Mosaic; and I may snatch up a couple ounces of Smaragd and/or Topaz as well.

Back on the original topic…after ripping open my bag of Belma, I’m not optimistic. Smelled sort of like dirty old gym bag. OK. May be a bit of an exaggeration. They were definitely not the star of the show that day.

Will probably try a single hop brew with them at some point just to see how they turn out. The product description certainly sounds fantastic. Worst case…at 15%AA they should make a decent bittering hop. Although I would like to know the cohumulone level. No response from them when I asked.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Back on the original topic…after ripping open my bag of Belma, I’m not optimistic. Smelled sort of like dirty old gym bag. OK. May be a bit of an exaggeration. They were definitely not the star of the show that day.

Will probably try a single hop brew with them at some point just to see how they turn out. The product description certainly sounds fantastic. Worst case…at 15%AA they should make a decent bittering hop. Although I would like to know the cohumulone level. No response from them when I asked.[/quote]

I wouldn’t rush to judgement on smell alone. I had a similar experience with Caliente this summer, but in the finished beer it smells fantastic - like fresh peaches/plums.

Agreed. I was very underwhelmed with Glacier when I smelled the hops originally, but they have quickly become one of my favorite varieties.

Odd. The 1 lb. of Belma I received was marked at 12.1%.

[quote=“gregscsu”]
Odd. The 1 lb. of Belma I received was marked at 12.1%.[/quote]
You’re correct. 12.1%. Was working from (obviously faulty) memory.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Although I would like to know the cohumulone level. No response from them when I asked.[/quote]Cohumulone is a nice piece of info, so I called hopsdirect a couple times until I could get a live person on the line, but unfortunately they do not have that number. I just sent an email to the guy who helped them develop the hop to see if he has it - I’ll post back any response (or the lack of one).