New guy, Caribou Slobber mashed at 165+ ish,?

My digital thermometer was off by about 15* , so I was trying to hit a 152 mash temp which I did, but I put my old glass thermometer in to double check. It read 167 ish.

Is this going to trash this beer? It was about a 1.052 OG beer and I wound up at 1.058OG.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

High temperatures up to 170F are not as destructive on enzymes as you may think. The temperatures you normally see posted are laboratory condition temperatures.

Was your mash thick or thin? This will determine how fermentable your wort is when mashed at those temperatures.

Either way up to about 170F you should be ok.

Worst case, you end up with a high F.G. making the beer sweeter than expected, though I doubt that would be the case here.

[quote=“jd14t”]High temperatures up to 170F are not as destructive on enzymes as you may think. The temperatures you normally see posted are laboratory condition temperatures.

Was your mash thick or thin? This will determine how fermentable your wort is when mashed at those temperatures.

Either way up to about 170F you should be ok.

Worst case, you end up with a high F.G. making the beer sweeter than expected, though I doubt that would be the case here.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response JD, the mash was a little thicker( or maybe that was just perception). It didn’t have a bad taste post mash, but the OG was quite a bit higher than the published OG(1.058 vs 1.052).

I’ll be ok with a little sweetness I just don’t want a bitter tannin bomb! My second beer was bitter like this, once again a thermometer problem. I’m investing in some nice kettle thermometers today, so hopefully that will solve one problem.

So many ways to learn, I just like learning the hard way I guess!

Thanks

Tannin extraction is more a function of alkalinity levels at temperatures under 170F. Over 170F and heat becomes more of an issue no matter the alkalinity.

It’s basically assumed that if you’re doing all grain you’ll check and adjust your mash pH.

The Caribou Slobber kit is designed with a small amount of dark grain such that if you’re not brewing with extremely alkaline water the pH should correct itself to within a reasonable level.

[quote=“jd14t”]Tannin extraction is more a function of alkalinity levels at temperatures under 170F. Over 170F and heat becomes more of an issue no matter the alkalinity.

It’s basically assumed that if you’re doing all grain you’ll check and adjust your mash pH.

The Caribou Slobber kit is designed with a small amount of dark grain such that if you’re not brewing with extremely alkaline water the pH should correct itself to within a reasonable level.[/quote]

Thanks for the help, I did check the PH and it was 5.2. I was just worried about the high mash temp.

Always something new every brew to learn. You read read and read and then weird equipment problems. Rip up and throw a wrench into everything.

Thanks again Jim