NEIPA vs Hazy IPA

That may be the place I was thinking of but I don’t recall that being the name of it.

I shouldn’t be so harsh on central Florida. I’m sure there are some fine people there. I just didn’t get to meet them.

I had a similar experience at a place I highly respect that brings in great beer but served a flat beer that wasn’t to style. They gave me my money back.
I have no problem with hazy beers and mostly prefer them but I would be annoyed if, as an Ale brewer, I finally ordered a lager got anything less than a clear beer.

I was down in Nashville Tn about a month ago and had sort of same experience at a brewery. Ordered a lager and was hazy and my beer was maybe 1.3 volumes of carbonation. The tap room Manger came by asked how I liked their new lager. I politely asked is suppose to be hazy. The Manager replied ( Yelling out hey everyone we got a home brewer that know more about beer then we do here and now he’s going to give his criticism of our beer. Guess your some kinda of beer guru the manger replied to me.
Their tap room had about 20 people and everyone heard the manager yelling this out to me. The whole tap room got quite. I calmly said let me introduce my self and gave the manager the Brewery business card with my title of Head Brewer on it. I put 10 dollars on the table for my beer as the manager was trying to apologize to me. Turned around and walked out.

6 Likes

Guess he felt a fool when he realized you really were a beer guru, huh? haha

Thing is…it shouldn’t matter…right? Guy clearly has low confidence in his meager abilities as a brewer. Personally I’d be embarrassed to give my friends a cloudy flat lager much less expect someone to pay for it. I figure there’s always someone who knows more than me about any given subject, even ones I may consider myself an expert on. Everyone is an expert now days thanks to the internet. haha

2 Likes

Flat out condescension, that’s a great way to keep customers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

I had a similar experience except not a professional. Went into a brewery and asked if they had an ESB when i was brewing one myself. Barkeep says " what’s that" when i tried to explain guy says never heard of it like i was asking for an exotic beer trying to show off my knowledge

1 Like

I have the idea that some of these small pub brewers feel the world revolves around their…
I’m not opposed to a somewhat cloudy pint of brew… A pilsner WASNT designed to be even the least bit cloudy… and have clean finish… Foggy water, with one bubble… doesn’t even tickle yer tongue? The bar keep that claims its a Pils lager should get their butt smacked with the mash paddle!!
Sneezles61

We don’t filter our beer here at the brewery. We cold crash and don’t use any kind of is a clarifying agent. Back to being a home brewer one of the first things we all learned was be patience. I don’t rush and release something thats not ready or not clear. In away i think thats where some Breweries think that its ok if the beer is a little hazy people like Hazy IPA. They won’t mind a hazy lager or other style. Now if you intended for it to be Hazy thats another thing. But if its because you rushed the beer that tells me a lot about a brewery… I made a French hoped Ipa 6.5% abv lots of Barbe Rouge and Mistral hops not to long ago. I crashed it for over a week at 30 degrees. The beer cleared some but still had hazy to it. So i continued to my crash till it was crystal clear. Total of 15 days is what it crashed for. My Patience paid off in the long the beer was exactly the way I wanted it to be clear bright and was something i could be proud of. It is a labor of love…Brewing.

4 Likes

This to me is what a NEIPA is supposed to look like (this particular one was a double):

I can get Adroit Theory beers through Tavour and I snag every one that comes up because they have all been excellent. Plus their can art is always awesome and I started wallpapering my garage with can labels at the beginning of Covid last year. Had bunch of friends down for a brewday the weekend before lockdown started with their families and my one bud peeled off his label and stuck it on the wall and I said, well now that’s a great idea! :innocent:

Anchorage is my other immediate buy brewery, love their stuff.

Rad

3 Likes

Dare I say, our brews here at home and else where, are part of a living culture… I have a hard time grasping all this talk about a brewery turning out a Lager in 2 weeks… APA,IPA can be tapped sooner rather than later…
You keg your home brew… pull a pint here and there… Then, it becomes of age… matured… what ever you want to call it… Its a magical journey…
I applaud you Damien for letting the brew tell you its ready…
Sneezles61

Ok, so now a homebrewing level question related to cold crash. Currently the only vessel I can cold crash in is my kegerator and I can get it down to around 38 degrees (realizing this is probably not really low enough). For beers that are dry hopped, I have typically just been bagging the dry hops and leaving them in the keg for 3-5 days at room temp before popping into the kegerator to carb. If I wanted to add a cold crash for a week to improve clarity before carbing, should I then be transferring under pressure into another CO2 purged keg or just assume I’ll get the dregs out in the first couple of pours? I use whirlfloc on any beer I want cleared and it works like a charm, but always looking to improve process possibilities. :thinking: I also need to look into one of those CO2 transfer from carboy setups rather than continuing to use my auto-siphon.

Rad

Colder is better but 38F should work fine if that is lower than your serving temp. If your serving temp is lower you may get some chill haze.

Cold as you can get the better… Time… thats your friend… And not moving the keg around… shaking the sediment back into solution… I read many years ago, you leave it alone long enough, it’ll clear… Ever notice how the brew clears towards the end of its life?
You’ll be rewarded pushing the newly fermented brew with CO2…
Sneezles61

A few things about this:

1. And I tell people this all the time, especially homebrewers that come in and think that just because I’m a ‘pro’ I know more than them- JUST BECAUSE YOU’RE A PRO DOESN’T MEAN YOU MAKE GOOD BEER
  2. ANYONE, yes ANYONE can become a ‘pro’ brewer. All it takes is money to open a brewery and buy equipment. My lovely wife who knows nothing about beer could open a brewery tomorrow and start making beer and be a ‘pro’
  3. many PROS in the industry feel they have NOTHING to learn from us Homebrewers that are ‘below’ them. To me it’s a very dangerous mindset. AND, this is despite evidence based info.

If I found out our bar staff was treating patrons like this I would be effing pissed like no other. Sure I’ve been in the business long enough now to see how some of us will imbibe a little too much and swear you’d ‘buy like 2-3 beers’ if I just made that ‘sour imperial red ale made with lactose, infused with coffee and elderberries and aged in bourbon barrels.’ I get not everyone understands that we need to sell more than 2-3 of those beers. But you treat people with kindness and realize in their mind they’re being helpful.

3 Likes

I’ll chime in if you don’t mind. 38° will work, it will just take a little longer. The closer to freezing you can get the better.
If it were me I would cold crashing in one keg and then transfer to another purged keg. This will prevent anything getting resuspended if moved or pulled off the bottom. Before jumping over, run it from the keg until it runs clear then put it on the receiving keg.

2 Likes

So you’re sayin I need a freezementor. . .Can I tell the wife you told me to? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rad

3 Likes

I totally agree with you Loopie. We all are students of the craft home brewer or pro brewer. There was alot about this encounter that maybe i felt a little personally insulted by. The disrespect towards home brewers. The assumption that i was going to criticize the beer with just a simple question. I will be honest hazy or not and low carbonation. The beer had great flavor. I would of tried other beer’s there. But with the Tap room manager out burst of yelling and feeling personally insulted. I gave them my card and walked away. I have never been a person that claims to know everything there is about beer and brewing. Home brewer or Pro brewer. I try to respect everyone just the same. Do i know a lot about beer and brewing. Yes i have applied my self and studied and am continually learning . Do i know everything there is to know. No! But no matter Pro brewer, Home brewer or just beer enthusiasts. Treat everyone with respect.

5 Likes

Thats what I tell everyone who drinks my brews… If you don’t like it, tell me… “you can’t please all the peeps all the time”… sure helps with free brews though!!
Wasn’t it Pietro that was one here a long time ago, that was offended being labeled a “home brewer”? I think he got so fed up, he left… Too bad, he was knowledgable and ambitious… Some peeps just get hung up with “home brewer” aspects, titles and other associations of the sort… I feel fine about it…
Sneezles61

This is my latest IPA, this is about as clear as I can get on my system. This one had all flameout and dry hops with zero bittering additions.

Rad

3 Likes

You can absolutely blame me for the freezementor!
And that’s decently clear with no fining. One thing to remember is that polyphenols in a beer made with ALL late hop additions will result in haze forming material which can be difficult to clear.

2 Likes