NEIPA vs Hazy IPA

Im trying to figure out the difference. The NEIPA is more a fuller mouth feel and less sharp. The Hazy IPAs that ive been having are dryer and sharper. An WCIPA with haze? Is it a distinct style. I don’t keep up with the new styles its just my observation

Hazy can be hazy but not always hoppy or juicy. Hazy is not a style but a character. NEIPAs tend to be hazy and hoppy with a lot of late additions

Well not juicy but definitely hoppy

I’ve always struggled with the definition of juicy. Fruity flavor/aroma, low hop presence, low ABV? What else?

Juicy: looks tastes like juice. When you have it you know it

1 Like

:joy: This sounds like some of the on line chatter about NEIPAs back in 2013-4 I used to get snarled up in…except everybody here is playing nice!

Im not saying anything is wrong with either. I jus think they are 2 different beers. What makes a hazy ipa hazy? I have to try to make a hazy beer

In short, early and significant dry hopping. You can use all the same ingredients as in a typical juicy hazy NEIPA and dry hop #1 at day 8 or so(for example) and get a clear beer…a juicy beer but a clear beer.

Thats what im thinking the early dry hopping. I just kegged my first try. Its not fully carbonated so doesn’t have that bite yet. Its hazy but will it last. Time will tell. I’ll be carbonating this higer than my NEIPA

On the subject of hazy anyone noticed that its becoming more acceptable no matter the style of beer is. Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan of hazy Ipa’s and styles that are suppose to be hazy. Lately though i see breweries posting picture of styles like Pilsner, German Alt American Ipa Pale ales and Even Barley Wine all Hazy.
Its almost like its acceptable to not have crystal clear beer anymore.

4 Likes

It’s true for wine here as well. I think many of the “natural” unfiltered wines I have are pretty fun and make me think about what I’m drinking

Juice-y… Think of Juicey Fruit gum… The juice-y brew or two I tried really didn’t have any bitterness… very foggy, perhaps low attenuating yeast… sweet.
Hazy… I’d go as far as to say, immature, quick out the door brews… perhaps… a bit bitter?
They are 2 different brews… Tie it all together?.. Brews.
Sneezles61

I’ve noticed the same thing around here in most of the newer breweries. One of two of the older guys still take pride in producing clear lagers. It’s absolutely not acceptable to me.

I went into this little brewery in Mt Dora, FL in 2013. The Rockin’ Rabbit. Coolest little town I found in what is otherwise the armpit of FL IMHO. They served all their beer almost flat. Barely any carbonation. I asked the server, who turned out to be the owner/brewer, why and he acted all offended that I asked. Said he gets homebrewer’s in there all the time that think they know more than him. I said well homebrewer or not, I’m paying for it so i suppose i have a right to ask why it’s flat, or i could just get up and leave without paying which would he prefer? he lightened up a bit but still had a chip about “homebrewers”. he claimed women liked his beer better because it wouldn’t make them belch. yea…ok… Thing is…there wasn’t a single woman in the place…all men. Beers were sub-par anyway…murky and flat, muddled flavors from busy recipes my guess. Went back for lunch with a buddy one day, no better experience and the food was mediocre too.

Point of my story is, if I’m paying for it I’m gonna comment on it and if I get a murky cloudy looking pils you can bet your arse I’m gonna say something. When you’re charging 7,8,9 bucks for a pint or less…you should expect a quality product. It’s like the $5 drinks at starbuck they set on the counter with an inch of empty space at the top of cup…HELL NO…fill it up or keep it.

I’m a bit curmudgeonly this morning boys but you got me going…haha

5 Likes

All you need to know about that place…

1 Like

Yep that’s the place. There are a couple really nice restaurants in Mt Dora that have great views of the lake.

Take a pint glass, pour a 12 oz bottle from a reputable brewing company into it… How the quack can a bar keep tell me, I’m getting 16 oz from the tap…? In a 16oz glass?
There is a brewery up north that does claim “you will get 16+ oz from us”!. they use 20 oz glasses… Point proved.
Sneezles61

The patio area was nice and I think Mt Dora is a more upscale town and a good spot for a nice brewery. A good brewer could likely turn that into a thriving business.

The really good waterside restaurant you may be alluding to was Pisces Rising. Great views and good food, and a decent tap list…we were there about a month ago.
Only one brewery still open that I found…and that was just a taproom with the brewing done in Eustis, Fl. Wolf Branch brewing.

Thats what i made for a Hazy IPA. Kind of a thinner body because i didn’t add any oats. Basically i added corn sugar instead of the oats to my NEIPA recipe. Next time I’ll use some bittering hops. I think the dryness calls for mor bite. As you can see its not fully carbonated. I’ll carboate ot much higher than the NE style might get more bote from that

1 Like

Every Summer I Brew Plinian Legacy to have side by side on tap with Off The Topper from our hosts for my hazy vs WCIPA taste off. I like them both very much. They’ll actually be next on my rotation after I brew the three batches worth I have sitting in the basement. I think of West Coast as crystal clear and bitter and NEIPA as cloudy and softer with a great aroma, but I’m not a great descriptor. I’ll take a picture of them side by side when I get them on tap here in June/July.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes