Need Grain Suggestions

This is my first post so I’d like to say hi to all. :cheers:

I buy 50# bags of 2 row and buy hops by the pound of which I have a variety.

So what would be a good variety of specialty grains to keep on hand and amounts.

I keep on tap a straight Pilsner with Saaz hops which is my favorite, but I want to brew other styles.
I brew with the weather, late fall-winter I brew lagers, spring-early summer I brew ales.

[quote=“HoppHead”]This is my first post so I’d like to say hi to all. :cheers:

So what would be a good variety of specialty grains to keep on hand and amounts.

I keep on tap a straight Pilsner with Saaz hops which is my favorite, but I want to brew other styles.
I brew with the weather, late fall-winter I brew lagers, spring-early summer I brew ales.[/quote]

welcome! it would help if you were a bit more specific about what styles you brew most to give the best advice.

But, I can tell you what I keep on hand -

I brew almost strictly German lagers (dortmunder, pilsner, marzen, vienna and bock) and American style ales (IPA, IIPA Amber, APA, Am Brown, Am Stout, Robust Porter, Barleywine, Imperial Stout) of course with occasional one offs, but that is the regularly brewed stuff.

I have about 20# of hops:

4-5#s noble - Tett, Mittlefruh, Saaz
5# High Alpha Bittering - Magnum, Warrior, Apollo, etc
10# American Flavor/Aroma - Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Citra, Cascade, Columbus, etc.

For grains:
2 sacks Rahr 2row
1 sack each Munich, Vienna, Pils, maybe Munich II

For specialties, I try to keep stocked:
10# Crisp Extra Light Crystal (15L)
10# Crisp Medium Crystal (45L)
5# Crisp Extra Dark Crystal (150L)
5# Carafoam
5# Caramunich I
5# Roasted Barley
5# Crisp Chocolate
2# Pale chocolate
2# Black Patent
2# Dehusked Carafa Special I
5# Victory

That pretty much covers the closet under my stairs where I keep all my supply of grain. I like having these as I can
brew just about anything on a moment’s notice.

Yeasts (usually slurries in jars)
Dry US-05

Holy home brewery blatz! You could make pretty much anything with what you’re stacking away. I think Munich is always handy to have around. A good crystal malt or two could never hurt. And if your thinking about stouts or porters some chocolate and/or roast barley.

hehe - yeah, I order most stuff online, so I tend to consolidate my ordering quite a bit and try and stock stuff so I have more freedom.

I buy these by the 50lb sack: 2 row, pilsner, munich, golden promise

I keep another 20+ specialty grains on hand in quantities from 1-10lbs - really depends on the recipes you see yourself brewing the most - just look at your 5 favorite styles of beer and see what you are always using, go from there. Some of the grains I always am keeping several pounds of -

Wheat
flaked oats
chocolate
Brown
crystals (20, 40, 80, 120)
caramunich (I,II,III)
melanoiden
acidulated
victory
cara aroma
pale chocolate
carafa
Coffee Kiln
Roast Barley

(Looks like Blatz and I have some similar tastes - love me some german beers, and ambers, browns, british ales, etc.)

There are others that I probably have a pound or two of most of the time, but those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

But really, you just need to sit down and think about 5-10 core recipes that you see yourself brewing/liking and look over the recipes and start a tally of the grains that show up and how much you need. Then go from there. There is no magic amt of a certain grain - depends on what you are going to brew.

[quote=“blatz”][quote=“HoppHead”]This is my first post so I’d like to say hi to all. :cheers:

I brew with the weather, late fall-winter I brew lagers, spring-early summer I brew ales.[/quote]

welcome! it would help if you were a bit more specific about what styles you brew most to give the best advice.

But, I can tell you what I keep on hand -

I brew almost strictly German lagers (dortmunder, pilsner, marzen, vienna and bock) and American style ales (IPA, IIPA Amber, APA, Am Brown, Am Stout, Robust Porter, Barleywine, Imperial Stout) of course with occasional one offs, but that is the regularly brewed stuff.

I have about 20# of hops:

4-5#s noble - Tett, Mittlefruh, Saaz
5# High Alpha Bittering - Magnum, Warrior, Apollo, etc
10# American Flavor/Aroma - Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Citra, Cascade, Columbus, etc.

For grains:
2 sacks Rahr 2row
1 sack each Munich, Vienna, Pils, maybe Munich II

For specialties, I try to keep stocked:
10# Crisp Extra Light Crystal (15L)
10# Crisp Medium Crystal (45L)
5# Crisp Extra Dark Crystal (150L)
5# Carafoam
5# Caramunich I
5# Roasted Barley
5# Crisp Chocolate
2# Pale chocolate
2# Black Patent
2# Dehusked Carafa Special I
5# Victory

That pretty much covers the closet under my stairs where I keep all my supply of grain. I like having these as I can
brew just about anything on a moment’s notice.

Yeasts (usually slurries in jars)
Dry US-05[/quote]

Is there a grain silo under your stairs?

:wink:

theres also 2 sacks of dog food in vittle vaults usually too.

hey the world is ending on Friday, might as well be stocked up right?

:wink:

theres also 2 sacks of dog food in vittle vaults usually too.

hey the world is ending on Friday, might as well be stocked up right?[/quote]

well thats awesome. just awesome.

I could do a hell of a lot with these few:

2-row
pilsner
Crystal 60
Munich or vienna
Roasted barley
chocolate
wheat
oats

Two categories: Alternative/supplementary base malts, and roasted/toasted/flaked grains/adjuncts.
First category: Munich, Maris Otter and/or Vienna Malt (I really like the stuff, but it is essentially German Maris Otter), pilsner malt, wheat malt.
Second category: Amber or Victory or Biscuit. Chocolate. Roasted (unmalted)Barley. Black Malt. Oats. Rye malt and flakes. Barley flakes. Candi or turbinado or brown sugar, and or molasses. Maize flakes.
I think you should be able to brew most styles and many variants with those. Keep a variety of dry yeasts (Notty, Safale Dry English, one of the Saflagers) on hand and you’ll be able to brew virtually anything at the drop of the hat.
Oh, forgot caramel malt: a light, a medium and a dark caramel. And rice hulls for hard to lauter mashes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tend to like lighter colored beers and IPA’s

I have
Crystal 60L 3lbs
Chocolate 1lb

Thinking I’ll get
Biscuit 10 lbs
Carapils 10lbs
Caravienne 10lbs
Caramel 20L 10lbs

I’ll need to be picking up yeast