My weekend BIAB batch

Tried to do a Surly Abrasive IIPA Clone. Found the recipe on beer smith. Surly lists the ingredients on their website but no detailed info. Here is the info Surly provides;

"STYLE: Double Oat IPA
MALT: 2-Row, Golden Promise, Oats, Lite Crystal
SUGAR: Brewers Crystals
HOPS: Warrior, Citra
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 19.5° Plato
ABV: 9% v/v
COLOR: 8 ºSRM
IBU: 120ish"

The Clone recipe on beer smith calls for:

7 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
5 lbs Golden Promise (2.8 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4
1.0 oz Warrior [16.7%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
0.5 oz Apollo [13.9%] - Boil 60 min Hops 6
12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 10 min] (0.0 SRM) Grain 7
1.0 oz Citra [14.1%] - Boil 10 min Hops 8
1.0 oz Citra [14.1%] - Boil 5 min Hops 9
2.0 oz Citra [14.1%] - Steep 20 min Hops 10
1 pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast 11
3.0 oz Citra [14.1%] - Dry Hop 7 days.

So I ended doing a couple things different. My local HBS was all out of Flaked oats. So instead I ended up using 1lb of flaked barley and 1/2lb of malted oats. I used 2 Oz of Warrior hops 1oz as the 60min and 1oz 45min addition. then used 5 Oz of Citra hops 1oz @ 30,15,10,5,and 1min additions. And will use 3oz Citra for dry hopping. Also Instead of the Whitelabs Dry english ale yeast I used Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. 3 packs and a 1.5L starter. Not sure how much these changes are going to effect the beer. I had a post boil OG of 1.078. The Wyeast has taken off and has produced the most krassuen and most vigorous fermentation I have seen yet. I can smell Citra being pushed out my airlock

If the Citra is being pushed out of the airlock, its no longer in your beer :mrgreen:

How big of a batch is this? That seems like a ton of yeast.

I personally haven’t liked most of the American hop-forward beers that use English ale yeasts, so hopefully that should work out for you just fine.

Well the Citra Smell is fantastic and I find myself hovering above the airlock. I actually filtered out the 7oz of hops from the wort before going into the primary, as they would take up a ton of space and I want to harvest the yeast after. Hope that doesn’t diminish the hops effect. It is 5 gallons. I used the mr.malty calculator. It said I needed 3 packs with a 1.23L starter with a 1.080 og

[quote=“Pietro”]If the Citra is being pushed out of the airlock, its no longer in your beer :mrgreen:

How big of a batch is this? That seems like a ton of yeast.

I personally haven’t liked most of the American hop-forward beers that use English ale yeasts, so hopefully that should work out for you just fine.[/quote]

+1 to not being a big fan of English ale yeast in American hop-forward beers. I recently made several pale ales and IPAs using Wyeast 1968 London ESB. I liked that it would clear up so quickly, but am definitely going back to a more neutral American yeast like 1056, 1272, etc.

PS, all that Citra sounds awesome to me. These APA and IPAs I mentioned have all been single hop beers. I’m trying to get a feel for all the different American hops and see what I do and don’t like. I LOVE me some Citra! So far it’s the best of them all (Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, Belma, Centennial)

You can see how Chunky this yeast is.