My First Alt, Water Opinions?

Going to make my first attempt at an Alt. Making Denny’s Milo’s Alt. 8# Munich II, 3# Pilsner, 1/4 to 1/2 Caramunich. I built up my water using Brun’Water. Anything look out of place or any suggested improvements? My existing water will probably result in a decent mash pH without adjustments so I will most likely be adding the salts to the boil kettle. Diluting my water with 3 gallons of distilled.

I’d say it looks like you’re spot on. I usually use 100% RO and adjust using Bru’n water. It’s a really good spreadsheet.

I’d lose the Epsom salt and baking soda.

I added those in to bump up the magnesium, sodium and bicarb to get closer to the “Amber Balanced” profile. You don’t think I’ll need them?

I added those in to bump up the magnesium, sodium and bicarb to get closer to the “Amber Balanced” profile. You don’t think I’ll need them?[/quote]

Nope. You virtually never need to add Mg. The grain itself will take care of it. Sodium is fine as is and the beer isn’t dark enough to need the bicarb. I use the amber bitter profile for that recipe. I’ve got a keg on tap right now made with amber bitter and it turned out just the way it should.

If your mash pH ballances with no salts I would do nothing to the water… OK I might be tempted to add MgSO4 and then ballance the sulfate with CaCL2 in the kettle… Denny do you know where I can read about the Mg contribution of malt?

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content ... rition.pdf

There was also a discussion of it on the AHA forum.

I envy you guys who have pretty good water right from the tap. I have to use delivered spring water - often the costliest ingredient for me. My well water is as hard as can be; using it after the iron filter and softener is out of the question.

I added those in to bump up the magnesium, sodium and bicarb to get closer to the “Amber Balanced” profile. You don’t think I’ll need them?[/quote]

Nope. You virtually never need to add Mg. The grain itself will take care of it. Sodium is fine as is and the beer isn’t dark enough to need the bicarb. I use the amber bitter profile for that recipe. I’ve got a keg on tap right now made with amber bitter and it turned out just the way it should.[/quote]

Thanks for the input Denny, it’s much appreciated. I have to admit that sodium, magnesium, and bicarb are items that I’ve not yet “figured out” on how they affect the beer I’m brewing.

The more I’m learning about my water and my brewing, the more I’m beginning to realize how nice my water is, and how lucky I am.

I agree with you, Ron. I consider myself very fortunate also, as the water here is wonderful.

Paul