My favorite style is:

I like this! Been AWHILE since I’ve made a Bock! I’m going to put a recipe together. Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Perhaps you’ll post it?
Sneezles61

Here’s what I popped out. Using ingredients I have on hand (except Munich dark):
10.5 gallons / 90 minute boil
59% Best Munich Dark (14 SRM)
27.5% Best Munich (7.6 SRM)
11.8% Best Vienna (4.6 SRM)
1% melanoidin malt (20 SRM)
.7% Carafa III
German Magnum 14% AA - 60 mins (18.7 IBUS)
German Saphir 3.5% AA - 30 mins (4.4 IBUS)
34/70 yeast
I initially started out without the melanoidin malt and a 120 min boil. That doesn’t sound too interesting to me so I substituted some time for malt and lowered it to 90 mins. The carafa III is simply for color.
I’ll plan on step mashing at 145° for 30 mins and 158° for 30 mins. I might pull the decoction to get there. Game time decision.
Hops are pretty straightforward as this style doesn’t call for hop aroma or flavor.
I went for 34/70 as I’ve truly never noticed a difference when it comes to German lager yeast (Czech lager yeast is an exception)
Edited: I’ve never brewed this so if it you make it and it sucks it’s on you. Brew at your own risk!

2 Likes

Im doing my ‘I’ll be Bock’ tomorrow with decoctions. Ive brewed this a few times trying to perfect it. This will be the first time using my decoction schedule. Will be fun to see the difference

I wonder how long you have to boil before the sugars turn brown…?
Sneezles61

Right on with marzen and Vienna lager. I’d replace the Pilsner with a kolsch. Iowa boy myself. Maybe it’s that Northern European blood