Multi-step mash infusion vs. decoction mash

So I looking at brewing a Dunkel which requires (or is at least better with) a multistep mash. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this as a direct heat infusion multi-step vs decoction? I’m sure efficiency improves and the flavor changes (due to the maillard reaction) with the decoction mash. Is there are reason not to use a decoction mash other than the effort/difficulty?

Also, would there be any reason not to use a decoction mash for some beer styles that require multi-step mashes. For example, and old bruin?

[quote=“tradguy2”]So I looking at brewing a Dunkel which requires (or is at least better with) a multistep mash. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this as a direct heat infusion multi-step vs decoction? I’m sure efficiency improves and the flavor changes (due to the maillard reaction) with the decoction mash. Is there are reason not to use a decoction mash other than the effort/difficulty?

Also, would there be any reason not to use a decoction mash for some beer styles that require multi-step mashes. For example, and old bruin?[/quote]

Why will a multistep mash make it better? What is it that you hope to gain from it? I have done many tests of multi step infusion mashes and really haven’t found a benefit. I did an experiment comparing infusion mashes to decoctions and a blind tasting of many tasters all over the world found no preference for the decocted beers. Use whatever mash schedule you like, but be realisitc in your expectations and objective in your tasting.

I think “better” was a poor choice of words, I should have said different. It is my understanding that decoction mashes were originally performed because the malt was poorly modified the decocting improved efficiency. I recognize that this is no longer needed with the highly modified malts available today. However there is some debate about the other effects it might have on beer.

1. Color - Many people seem to believe that if you perform a decoction of a light base malt the color will get darker. Have you found this to be the case?
  2. If it does effect color I realize I could add small amounts of Carafa I,II, or III without adding the astringent flavor of other dark grains but it seems to me that this would result in a different flavor. Thoughts?

I also wonder if decocting might be of value in terms of the color and possibly flavor but think it is likely that using it to step up the mash temperature might be of little value in terms of the historic reasons for perfroming a multi step mash.

1.) maybe very slightly
2.) I doubt you could detect any flavor in the small amount that would be needed to duplicate any small color change from decoction. If I just want color, I use Sinamar. Much easier to use than grain, it’s made from grain, and no flavor contribution.

[quote=“Denny”]1.) maybe very slightly
2.) I doubt you could detect any flavor in the small amount that would be needed to duplicate any small color change from decoction. If I just want color, I use Sinamar. Much easier to use than grain, it’s made from grain, and no flavor contribution.[/quote]

A) What exactly is Sinamar?

B) Generally I would have to agree with Denny on the use of decoctions and step infusions. I used to do decoctions for all my beer for many years. My efficiency was very good. Maybe it added some color. But in the end what I got out of it was not worth the extra 2 hours on brew day. I just got better at hitting and maintaining my infusion temps so single step infusion gets me where I’m going every time now.

That being said if you are looking for a reason to try a decoction, let trying a decoction be your reason. At least in the post apocolyptic world where ther is no more modified malt you will be ready.

Sinamar is a liquid coloring agent made from carafa. Weyermann makes it and it gets used a lot for commercial schwarzbier.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.as ... &sprache=2

I’ve done two decoction mashes now and had fun with each. I like doing it and think I will probably do it again. Your reason should be to try a new new/old technique.

And by the way, I’m totally ready for that post-apocalyptic world. I’m almost caught up the The Walking Dead, am a pretty good gardener and am going to use my beer as means for taking over society once all the bars/liquor stores run dry

An interesting article on a blind tasting-

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/f ... ic=12943.0

I’ve done two decoction mashes now and had fun with each. I like doing it and think I will probably do it again. Your reason should be to try a new new/old technique.
[/quote]

+1 I do decoction mashing on most of the German styles I brew - probably 8-10 batches a year. I do it mostly because it’s fun and because it’s a traditional part of those styles. In keeping with other such traditions, I also only brew Maibock in December or January to be ready to tap on May 1st, and brew my Märzen in March - the month from which it gets its name. Aside from tradition, that helps me plan my brewing year around style traditions, events and holidays.

Like Denny said, though, there’s not a huge difference in the finished beer if the rest of your process (healthy yeast, good sanitation, temperature control, etc.) is solid. The most noticeable effects of decoction mashing that I’ve observed are a few points higher efficiency and clearer wort to the kettle. And, with the equipment I have, decoction is a more practical way to do step mashing than step-infusion.

[quote=“Toccata”]An interesting article on a blind tasting-

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/f ... ic=12943.0[/quote]

I participated in that tasting. I think some people were surprised at the results.