Moving to All Grain need advice

Im moving into All Grain and I need some advice. Im planning on getting 2 new kettles to act as my Mash-Tun and Boil Kettle. so my question is will 10 gallons be enough to handle these tasks for 5 gallon batches? Secondly I do have a few high gravity beers I plan on making so would it be able to handle these also?

Any particular reason you are deciding to go with a kettle instead of a cooler for a mashtun? I have to imagine with that kettle and false bottom you are going to have a bit of trouble with higher gravity beers. You can convert a 70 quart cooler for $50-$80 (including the price of the cooler) to a mashtun that should allow you to brew any gravity 5 gallon and most 10 gallon recipes.

I BIAB and use a 10 gallon pot to mash in and a 7.5 gal pot to sparge. I have no problem with most 5 gallon batches, but it can get a little hairy with really big beers. I’m planning a barley wine and need to scale the recipe back to 4 gallons do to the 18+lbs of grain. I’d recommend a 15 gallon if it’s in your price range because a larger pot is always better. With that size pot, you shouldn’t have any issue with any 5 gallon batches. You could even brew 10 gallon batches of an average strength beer. I wish I had this option.

I agree with mattnaik on the cooler setup too. The only reason I haven’t switched to mashing in a cooler is space constraints in my condo. I just don’t have the room to store the cooler, so I stick with BIAB.

I BIAB using one 9 gal kettle. I boil 5 gallons of water and save in a cooler for sparging, then I heat my strike water and dough in. When the mash is done I pull the bag and pour sparge water over it until I get my preboil volume.

On bigger beers I have to mash pretty thick but it works. One of my most recent was 17 lb grain bill, 1.083 OG. Turned out great.

I get very high efficiency numbers with this process. If I’m honest…I squeeze the crap outta the bag at the end of the sparge… :smiley:

I have a cheap n’ easy cooler mash tun but I seldom use it because this process just works for me. :cheers:

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I BIAB using one 9 gal kettle. I boil 5 gallons of water and save in a cooler for sparging, then I heat my strike water and dough in. When the mash is done I pull the bag and pour sparge water over it until I get my preboil volume.

On bigger beers I have to mash pretty thick but it works. One of my most recent was 17 lb grain bill, 1.083 OG. Turned out great.

I get very high efficiency numbers with this process. If I’m honest…I squeeze the crap outta the bag at the end of the sparge… :smiley:

I have a cheap n’ easy cooler mash tun but I seldom use it because this process just works for me. :cheers: [/quote]

I squeeze my sack too :smiley: Never had a tannin issues that people talk about. I firmly believe that thinking is an old wives tale.

It’s my understanding that tannin extraction is from pH of the water, not squeezing your sack :wink:

That is correct.

That is correct.[/quote]

I stand by this and quote you on it quite regularly, Denny. I actually just quoted you on this topic just this past weekend while hanging out with a few brew club members during a brew day.

:cheers:

That is correct.[/quote]

I stand by this and quote you on it quite regularly, Denny. I actually just quoted you on this topic just this past weekend while hanging out with a few brew club members during a brew day.

:cheers: [/quote]

I thought I felt my ears burning! :wink:

Around 3pm on Saturday… yeah that was me :lol:

That is correct.[/quote]

There you have it gentlemen, carry on and continue to squeeze your sack without fear of undesirable results.

If you guys are squeezing your sacks while brewing, I hope at least you’re washing your hands after!

No but I wear gloves. :wink:

It’s when you combine brewing sans-pants with the sack squeezing that the trouble starts.

I tried using a kettle mash tun with false bottom and went back to a cooler after 2 batches. I was not doing BIAB.

No but I wear gloves. :wink: [/quote]

I just Star San the sack. :shock: