Monster Mill or Captain Crush

I’m at my witt’s end with my Barley Crusher as it took me 25 minutes to crush 12 lbs of grain last night. I am so sick of the passive roller not catching so I’m ready to move to something new.

Right now, I’m thinking of either getting a Monster Mill MM3 2.0 or Northern Brewer’s Captain Crush. I know that the MM3 is a 2.0 Dia roller and the Captain Crush is a 1.5 Dia roller, but I really dig the ribbed rollers on the Captain Crush.

I’ve looked on there and have not seen a whole lot of talk about the Captain Crush, which I expected since it’s pretty new.

Either one would be driven with a 3/8" cordless drill (Festool T15+3 to be specific).

Cost is not a concern, but if the Captain Crush will do just as good of a job as the MM, I would be happy to save a few bucks. I know what the MM crush looks like, so I would love to see a pic of the Captain Crush if anyone has one.

Thanks for the help.

I can’t comment on either of those, but have had a ‘Cereal Killer’ for a few months now and am very happy. I can crush 10-15lbs of grain in just a few minutes. Again, I have nothing to compare too, but am very happy. I routinely hit 75-85% efficiency depending on the grain bill size.

I had the same problem with the MM 3 roller with the 1.5 in rollers some day it would work fine the next time it didn’t.

I started with a JSP model A with the gear drive and that is what I’m back to so this is what I would recommend.

I will say that the guys at the NB store seem to be impressed with the captain crush.

[quote=“wubears71”]I’m at my witt’s end with my Barley Crusher as it took me 25 minutes to crush 12 lbs of grain last night. I am so sick of the passive roller not catching so I’m ready to move to something new.

Right now, I’m thinking of either getting a Monster Mill MM3 2.0 or Northern Brewer’s Captain Crush. I know that the MM3 is a 2.0 Dia roller and the Captain Crush is a 1.5 Dia roller, but I really dig the ribbed rollers on the Captain Crush.

I’ve looked on there and have not seen a whole lot of talk about the Captain Crush, which I expected since it’s pretty new.

Either one would be driven with a 3/8" cordless drill (Festool T15+3 to be specific).

Cost is not a concern, but if the Captain Crush will do just as good of a job as the MM, I would be happy to save a few bucks. I know what the MM crush looks like, so I would love to see a pic of the Captain Crush if anyone has one.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

I have a barley crusher and I’m just curious…how can you tell the passive roller is not working? I see mine spinning when I get down to that last bit of grain but other than that I have no idea what it’s doing…

Danny, if your grain is crushing the passive roll is spinning. When it slips it won’t crush. It has to pinch the grain to pull the passive wheel around and down, when the knurling gets worn or the gap isn’t right it won’t work. I think its worse with smaller rolls since the angle is a little higher to begin with.

To the OP, I know the MM3-roller would probably do a better job but I’d be tempted to try the new Capn Crush, it has some interesting and handy features. Being able to see through the hopper is nice, and the slotted rolls are an interesting concept that I think might represent an improvement as far as wear.

The only thing that kept me away from the Captain Crush was the acrylic body. One
slip from whatever height and there could be a crack or pieces on the floor.