Mistake with Sierra Mandre Pale ale

How bad did I mess up last night I brewed the extract kit and got it all done and cooled off and was going to transfer the wort into the primary when I realized I forgot the hop addition at flame out :disappointed_relieved: So with out missing a beat I just poured them into the primary thinking I always use a secondary in two weeks and it should be ok. After the fact I was thinking unlike dry hopping there is no alcohol in there to kill and bad bugs and it will be in there for two week risking a grassy taste. So much for doing this late at night and enjoying a few while I am working. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be fine, maybe slightly different than intended. Dry hopping early or even before fermentation gets going (which is what you did) is now a ā€œthingā€ with those NEDIPAā€™s.

I think the only thing you will be missing in beer is the aroma from the flame out addition since the hop oils werenā€™t heated for extraction. Infection from the hop addition in the primary will be unlikely. Hops are a natural preservative. It will be a long dry hop, but the CO2 production during fermentation will scrub any flavors out of the beer. The hops will be neutralized and just drop into the trub layer along with the other hops used in the boil.

Fermentation would be just beginning so I would consider siphoning a half gallon from the primary, heating it to a boil and add the 2 ounces of hops to it. Cool and aerate the hopped wort for adding back into the fermentor.

Not to sure about this without some internet searches. Some comments from experienced brewers.

Went to check on my yeast starter and then it occurred to me that my suggestion is impossible. The hops are in the primary.

Thanks guy for your help that make me feel better.

Dry hopping is all about aroma.

Couple things I no longer do:

1. not plan my brews
  2. no late night brew sessions
  3. no drinking during brewing
  4. no brewing with company over

All those have a potential for disaster. Once while brewing and drinking I forgot to add my salt additions to the strike water. Made for a flabby, flat RIS. Once when brewing late, my chilling took forever and I pitched too warm, which resulted in unwanted esters. Brewing with company resulted in missed hop addition times (coupled with drinking). And brewing without planning results in a brew day that takes forever and a yeast starter thatā€™s not ready. Just not worth it.

1 Like

Those are good rules.

1. I usually plan the brew day at least 2 weeks out sometimes more in my head, check inventory for ingredients, build the recipe in beersmith, water profile in brunwater, make a starter as needed well in advance of brew day.
    2,3&4) I get up early to brew and Iā€™ve never been an early morning beer guy. This also keeps the visitors down for the most part. If theyā€™re brewer buddies thatā€™s ok if they bring coffee and donā€™t distract me. I use the timer function in beersmith to keep me organized and on task on brew day too.

My brew days usually fit around when I can count on my wife being out of the house for 6 hours or more. Really screws up my plans when she changes hers and stays home.

We are getting a little off topic butā€¦ I also start my brew day early so no sampling until everything is about done. I brew during the week so not too many people are around to distract me. We both were lucky enough to take early retirement.

Do have to plan ahead some depending on making a starter or not. On brew day I line up all the hop additions and anything else on a table. I put the hops in Solo cups with the addition times marked on them. A small digital timer sits next to them.

You can multi-task some stuff. While the HLT and MT are heating is a good time to crush the grains. While the kettle is getting up to a boil is a good time to sanitize fermenters and stuff. Do need to keep an eye on it of course.

For the newer brewer. Stay calm and have the instruction (if it is a kit) on hand. You can even stick Post Its to things to remind you what steps are next. It is easy to forget things so any little reminder is helpful. If everything is sanitary there arenā€™t many mistakes you can make that will ruin the beer to the point itā€™s not drinkable in the end. It may not come out to be what you intended but will be beer, good beer.

My brew day starts the W/E before. check my malt, hops and yeast. Start the yeast on tues.-weds. Then friday night the stepped up yeast goes into the fridge, sat. am iā€™m up and setting up at about 8, I do like to sleep in on the W/E. Alls done and cleaned up just after noonā€¦. Sneezles61

Off topic?? This is great I am enjoying reading about everyone brew day and their organizational styles. We are talking about brewing so it is all good. It make me feel better about my late night brewing mistake :beer::beer::beer:

3 Likes

I think I went from bad to worse. I thought this would be a great time to try some peach flavoring since my beer kit was already off and I like hoppy beer. I just got done carbonating it and thought I would try a sample before I bottle it. This peach extract if awful with a after taste. I am sereasoly considering dumping it and saving my CO2. Does anyone know if the taste calm down after a while. I mix it in the secondary for two weeks and keg for one weeks.

Take and steep some black malt, cool, then add to the keg till the B-malt changes/kills the previous tasteā€¦ Sneezles61