Mashtun design - braid or false bottom?

I have used that one for 15 years and 456 batches without any problems. I still use it to this day.

And I strongly recommend that you follow SilentKnyght’s strong recommendation that you follow Denny’s recommendations :slight_smile: My braid is from a water supply hose as well. I don’t keep track of how many batches I do, but it continues to serve me well after five years of use.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“SoltanGris”]
That’s gotta be it. It’s pretty sturdy but I can definitely squish it.[/quote]

FWIW, not all braids are created equal, in my experience. They’re designed to “keep stuff in” (i.e., prevent pressure build-up / hose bursting), not necessarily “keep stuff out”. From certain manufacturers, you can purchase “raw” hose braid, and it is folded & flattened; such braid would work fine for its intended purpose, but will fail when used for this homebrewing application (Note: personal experience here).

I see Denny’s recommended a hose; I strongly recommend you follow his recommendations.[/quote]

If I ever go back to the braid, I will get better material. But I’m near 100 batches in with my false bottom and I’m sticking with it :smiley:

Me, too, on my converted Sanke with FB for 10 gallon batches, but I have a silicone tube inside a dryer lint screen onto a copper elbow that has served me fine in my cooler MT used for 5 gallon batches, typically. In the end - there are many ways to make good beer! And I am willing to try as many as possible!