Mash tun

Just got my new mash tun and excited to start my first all-grain. Quick question, how do most people clean their mashed tun. Mine is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid with false bottom. Do you guys Take it all apart every time and clean it or just Clean it all put together?

Clean it well before the first use to remove any residues from the manufacturing process, then simply remove the grain and spray it out with water when you’re done, then let it dry with the valve open before putting the lid back on. It helps to clean it while the grain is still warm, too.

+1 I clean mine with water off my chiller.

[quote=“mrv”]

+1 I clean mine with water off my chiller.[/quote]

Glad I read this thread. I always rushed to clean the tun as the kettle warmed toward boil - now you saved me some time AND water!

[quote=“harpdog”][quote=“mrv”]

+1 I clean mine with water off my chiller.[/quote]

Glad I read this thread. I always rushed to clean the tun as the kettle warmed toward boil - now you saved me some time AND water![/quote]
This is what I do, you’re wasting that much water. It’s nice to clean up as you go, less to worry about later.

I give mine a hot Oxiclean soak every 5 years whether it needs it or not… :wink:

I usually just spray it out but every couple of uses I soak it overnight with a bit of PBW or Oxiclean.

Cool, thanks

I wash mine well, with soap and water, at the end of each brewday. Let it dry, and then put the lid back on (usually leaving the ball valve open). No issues.

I used to put sanitizer in it at the start of each brewday, and now don’t do that anymore.

I spray mine out pretty good with the hose at the end of my brew-day. I spray it again on my next brew day, and then flush it with about a gallon of my “pre-heat” water. I like to think of anything left in there as “a little spice”…

I better move up my schedule a little.

Other than the time I forgot about the grain in there, :oops: , I don’t think I have “cleaned” it. Just hosed it out.