Mash Temperature Suggestions for Chainbreaker Clone

So this recipe calls for a step mash. I’m not set up to do step mashes and from what I understand they are rarely, if ever, needed anymore. I am hoping the wiser, more knowledgeable heads might have some suggestions as to a good temperature for a single infusion mash.

I also find the call for 5 ml of lactic acid during the mash strange. Why wouldn’t I just run my normal water calculations and add whatever amount of lactic acid I need to get to the proper pH?

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

6 lbs 8.0 oz, Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 4.0 oz, Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz, Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

5.00 ml, Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)
4.9 oz, Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for30 min]
0.12 oz, Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.34 oz, Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)

1.00 oz, Bravo (Pellets) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz, Citra (Pellets) [12.00 %] - knockout
1.00 oz, Centennial (Pellets) [10.00 %] - knockout
0.50 oz, Cascade (Pellets) [5.50 %] - knockout
0.9 pkg, Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast, Trappist High Gravity

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.9 oz

Step 1) 125.0 F, 15 min
Step 2) 145.0 F, 15 min
Step 3) 163.0 F, 20 min
Mash Out 172.0 F, 10 mi

Everything I came across suggested a medium bodied beer. I would shoot for 152° or 153° mash temp.

I wouldn’t just haphazardly use the lactic acid. I would do as you suggested and use your calculations to obtain proper pH. Not sure where you got the recipe but the OP’s water prob needs it and he/she posted it.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Everything I came across suggested a medium bodied beer. I would shoot for 152° or 153° mash temp.

I wouldn’t just haphazardly use the lactic acid. I would do as you suggested and use your calculations to obtain proper pH. Not sure where you got the recipe but the OP’s water prob needs it and he/she posted it.[/quote]

All of this! ^^^^ Make water additions becasue you need them for YOUR water, not just because they’re in a recipe.

Thanks guys for the advice regarding mash temp and water adjustments. I shot for 152, ended up at 150 so I guess it will end up being a bit more light bodied. I will say the WY 3787 has been a monster. Pitched a 1.5 qt starter, been fermenting at 66 and don’t ever recall so vigorous a fermentation.

Another odd note, I did find that the wheat did push the mash pH with my straight Portland water up high so I did end up having to add 5 ml of lactic acid to get to the right pH. Not that the recipe author could have known that!