Mash Paddle?

Hello Everyone,

This morning when I mashed in for an ESB, I seemed to have an unusually large number of grain balls clumping together in the cooler. I typically use a long metal spoon to stir the mash & break up the clumps of grain, which technically works just fine, but given the fact that there were so many balls this time around, I began to wonder if my spoon was the best tool for the job. Does anyone have an opinion on the value of investing in a mash paddle? I’m not looking to spend money needlessly, but after standing and stirring for a good 5 minutes (luckily I didn’t dip below my target temperature), I thought there might be a better way.

This works well for breaking up dough balls, and it only costs $4.50.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... addle.html

A nice wooden mash paddle is totally awesome. Looks great, works well, seems more authentic.
Are you pouring your grain into the water or the water into the grain? I put water in first, add half the grain, stir, add the other half and stir. Never any issues with a large wooden mash paddle.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]A nice wooden mash paddle is totally awesome. Looks great, works well, seems more authentic.
Are you pouring your grain into the water or the water into the grain? I put water in first, add half the grain, stir, add the other half and stir. Never any issues with a large wooden mash paddle.[/quote]

I do pretty much the same thing, except I put in one scoop at a time, stir, scoop, stir, scoop, stir, etc.
It takes a little longer, but I’ve never had any issues. And I use a long handled plastic brewing spoon

For batches as large as I am doing I would be lost without my mash paddle.
And add another vote for grain to water.

I got the plastic mash paddle. I basically do like paultuttle, but I do a slow continuous pour & stir constantly. so far (not many AG batches so far), I only had a little trouble with my Weizenbock. but my grain poured out quicker than I expected.

Thanks to everyone.

I also go grain to water, usually adding the grain in two installments and stirring each time. Since I brew 5 gallon batches, this usually amounts to 5-7 lbs. of grain per addition, depending on the recipe. Not sure why today was so clumpy, but I think I may take a look at what kinds of paddles are available. Thanks again!

While a little on the expensive side, the stainless mash paddle that NB sells is gold on brew day. I do 10 gallon batches and it breaks up the balls rather quickly. If someone came and stole it (the only way I would lose it), I would buy another one immediately. I was going to make a wooden one, but this was just a little easier.

A big stainless steel chef’s wisk is what I use. Works great, and I happened to already have it in the kitchen.

[quote=“Dan S”]Thanks to everyone.

I also go grain to water, usually adding the grain in two installments and stirring each time. Since I brew 5 gallon batches, this usually amounts to 5-7 lbs. of grain per addition, depending on the recipe. Not sure why today was so clumpy, but I think I may take a look at what kinds of paddles are available. Thanks again![/quote]

What’s your base grain? The only time I have doughballs is with Marris Otter. No problems with domestic 2-row.
I carved mine out of a piece of oak. It looks like a 3 ft. spoon.

I used a wood mash paddle today and wish I had bought one a long time ago. I brew BIAB and brewed with Maris Otter today. The mash paddle helped a great deal in keeping the mash circulating during the BIAB “sparge” period. It made a huge difference with temperature control by helping circulate the mash better. Wort chiller and mash paddle were two very good purchases.

I used 10.5 lbs of Maris Otter – sounds like that might be the culprit. It’s been a while since I’ve use it. Thanks.

[quote=“mrv”]
I carved mine out of a piece of oak. It looks like a 3 ft. spoon.[/quote]

I’d like to see a photo of that.

I bought the oak dowels and made four for the price of one. I hung one on the wall, put one in service and gave two away to brew buds.

I make them out of maple (and some other woods) and sell them for about 45$ here in NY. If you guys are interested, I could make a few up to ship to you guys. I use mine for every brew and it is way easier to stir the mash with something rugged like this instead of that floppy plastic one our host sells. I can make these in any length so they are easy to scale for any size batch. The angled bottom makes it easy to get into the corner of the mash tun without disturbing your screen or manifold too.

(New to the forum here; so first post.)

I made mine out of an untreated piece of red oak board purchased at lowes. Cut out with a jig saw, sanded, and left natural. Has worked great for several years and was cheap.

Plus, just having it hanging in the garage keeps the neighborhood kids in line.

I modeled it after the pic shown in JZ’s Brewing Classic Styles.

Welcome to the forum! I am shocked that this is your forst post. I feel like I’ve known you for years. Must be from B3 huh?

I purchased this one earlier this year. Hard to beat the price.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... s_id=12823

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I purchased this one earlier this year. Hard to beat the price.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... s_id=12823[/quote]

Do having holes in a mash paddle make a difference? Or is it just about resistance in the mash?

The holes are important IMO. They break up the dough balls.