Mash hopping

A new brew!! Pepto Bizmol fizz! :joy: Sneezle61

2 Likes

Ok started the mash hop exbeeriment. Mashed a couple pounds grain. My process so far was put in 1/2 oz of Magnum in the pot then put my bag over that. Added 180° strike water and stored it down with some cold water to strike temperature about 167° took about 5 minutes. Mashed in the grains and mashed from 158° to 154° for 60 min. Going to boil for 1hr. No other hop additions. Has a hops aroma coming off. I’ll get back to this post with updates.

Well the finished wort most definitely has a bitterness to it

Since it’s a 1 gallon batch I’ll use it to start a fresh pack of wy2001. Going to do my lager series as Altbiers

3 Likes

Any idea as to pH? Sneezles61

My pH meter stopped working. Need to get another one

I can’t tell you its really needed… but I use mine every time I brew. :no_mouth: Sneezles61

1 Like

One of my mash hopped experiments was to brew a beer with only mash hops. Calculations showed it was 131 IBU. Analysis said 15 IBU. Had no hop flavor or aroma, either.

2 Likes

Did you leave the hops behind or remove them with the spent grain?

removed with the grain. You can’t really do anything else, can you?

1 Like

Like I explain above its easy with Biab. In a tun put your hops in a hop sack and transfer to your brew kettle and drain the wort on top

Won’t a significant amount of the hopness be stuck in the grain mass.

I’m sure some will be just like some sugars are left in the grain. I have the mash hop only beer fermenting now. We will find out in a couple weeks

1 Like

Well 1/2 oz of magnum in a 1 gallon batch is allot. Anyway I tried the beer and it was very bitter so there you have it, it adds bitterness but no flavor or aroma. Is it any different from Fwh? I don’t know it steeps longer but don’t think that matters.

2 Likes

As I previously mentioned with a BIAB you essentially did a long FWH. Doesnt surprise me that it’s bitter. Especially 1/2oz in 1gal! Usually 1/2oz is enough for 5gal.

Edited: since I fly sparge my FWH steep for 1hr

1 Like

I deliberately over hopped it since some were saying I’d get nothing. Do you think the long steep adds anything?

Hey, cool. I’m trying to nail down how much bitterness comes from mash hopping. You say it’s very bitter… how bitter is that? Like 100 IBUs bitter, or more like 50 IBUs bitter? If the former then it may be safe to say that a lot of isomerization happens in the mash and carries into the boil. If the latter then maybe it’s more like partial isomerization which continues in the boil but to a much lesser extent than all of it, and might be equated by saying it gives the same IBUs as about a 10-minute boil addition, which is what is assumed in my chosen homebrewing software (StrangeBrew).

So… can you guess where the IBUs actually taste? Is it terribly bitter like a double IPA, or is it just “very” bitter more like a pale ale would be?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Well I just did an IPA that calculated 90 ibu’s and this is more bitter. You have to remember though that I didn’t add any flavor or aroma hops so that would make difference. I calculated about 120 ibu if you add 1/2 of magnum to a 1 gallon for 60 minute boil. I’d say that is about right. It was to bitter to notice much else. I guess the next expieriment will brew a balanced recipe I’m familiar with and substitute the mash hop for the 60 minutes addition.

2 Likes

I believe I said it here somewhere, but I made a mash hopped beer that calculated to 131 IBU. When it was tested, it had 15.

1 Like

It would be interesting to have the beer analyzed.