Marris Otter vs 2-Row/Munich Blend

I’m currently playing with a recipe that I’d like some opinions on. Here’s the goal: A balanced to slightly malty beer, about 5.5% abv, interesting (sweet-ish) malt character but not necessarily malt forward, English or noble hops to balance it out with a “not standout, but certainly there” hop presence, say 20 ibu’s. Something very easy to drink - think: gateway beer for BMC drinkers.

I’m trying to decide between two grainbills, I’ll leave out the hops because I haven’t decided on them yet, just keep the goal above in mind.

54% 5 lbs American Two-row Pale
27% 2.5 lbs Munich Malt
11% 1 lbs CaraVienne
5% 0.5lbs Golden Naked Oats
3% 0.25lbs Caramunich III

or

81% 7.5 lbs Marris Otter
11% 1 lbs CaraVienne
5% 1lbs Golden Naked Oats
3% 0.5 lbs Caramunich III

So really it’s the difference between 2-row/Munich blend and all MO. I understand that the 2-row/Munich blend will be maltier and the MO will be bready/biscuity, I’m curious which sounds closer to my goal/better to you guys.

I think I would stick to the 2 row and munich. I can see this with a noble hop presence being closer to BMC, especially if you brew it as a lager. If brewing as an ale you could use wyeast 1007 german ale for a nice mild flavor.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I have a pack of Wyeast 1469 that I’ve been dying to try out. Would 1469 play well with noble hops?

I would think you would be alright with that as your looking for a malt forward (no too malty) beer with a noticible hop presence. It appears this yeast makes a fairly balanced beer so it might be right up your alley!