Magic Hat #9

I found this recipe on a podcast of Can You Brew It. They were interviewing the head brewer from Magic Hat brewery.

I moved into bottles yesterday & so far it’s amazing. Rumor is 2-3 months is the sweet spot for this beer. My intention was to have her conditioned by summer- something light, and drinkable.

(All Grain)

Batch Size: 6.0 GAL

ABV 4.6%

9.92 LBS Pale 2-Row
0.20 LBS Crystal 80

Mash at 152F for 45min. Mashout at 165F (15min)

Hop Additions-
7g - Columbus (60 min)
14g - Cascade (30 min)

Secondary Addition-
3.3 LBS Apricot Puree OR 3oz Apricot Extract

Yeast: WLP002

Keep us updated. I used to leave in Vermont and liked this beer.

The apricot is so subtle, I was actually surprised that it was in there.

[quote=“brewingdan”]Keep us updated. I used to leave in Vermont and liked this beer.

The apricot is so subtle, I was actually surprised that it was in there.[/quote]

Will do man. In the interview, they mentioned flavoring apricot to taste, but they also use the extract instead of puree. I have a copy of BYO w/ this recipe, as well. It called for 3.3lbs puree, or 3oz extract. LHBS only has puree. But I used the 90% 2-Row & 10% Crystal grain bill as stated by the brewer

I’m not a fan of overly sweet/fruity beers. I tasted my gravity sample before bottling and the 3lbs of puree in the secondary was perfect.

Beer has been in bottles for 3 wks now. Flavor & aroma came out spot on. Feedback has been very positive, and I think she can get a little better with age.

A few things I’m going to change:

-Switch from Puree to apricot extract. I had a very clear beer until I racked into secondary w/ the puree. Brewer did say they used extract, but LHBS only had puree.

-Ferment at a lower temp. Per the recipe in BYO, it stated ~70F, then raise to ~72F. My primary fermentation finished in about 3 days, secondary for 5 days & bottled on day 9.

ABV 4.7%

Did you use the 1272 in an attempt on this? I’d like to give this a try…did you make any changes to the recipe? Yeast starter or ? Thanks!

-Zac

When I make fruit based beers I usually mash in the upper 150s. This helps secure a better body/ mouthfeel. In a recent peach beer I did, I used both the actual fruit and an ounce or two of extract just to round out the aroma and flavor.