Lutra Kveik fermentation

I posted here Wort stratification - #3 by sneezles61 about the unusually high OG, here is how the yeast worked.

I sprinkled this yeast on top of wort at mid 70s, cool for this strain. It looks like and fermented like a wine yeast only faster. It is more granular looking that most dry beer yeast I have used. At first it appeared to have stalled or my bucket had a leak. Day two no airlock activity. Not one to worry I just ignored it for a few days.

Yesterday I popped the top and dropped in my (sanitized) hydrometer. 1.012 or so. it was not easy to see in the bucket but I will get an accurate reading when I keg or bottle it and taste a sample. It appears that it finished overnight. I will probably give it another couple of days for my friend Justin Case.

1 Like

I just had a buddy tell me he used this yeast. He sent me a video and at about 12 hours post pitch it was going like gang busters! Wouldnā€™t surprise me to finish in a couple days! Will be interesting to see how ā€˜cleanā€™ you find it.

Iā€™m liking this yeast. I tried to start a thread about it but it ran out of gas. Iā€™m trying it with everything since summer. Itā€™s work really well in everything. The Kƶlsch I made with it was a little off but now that it has aged (and is almost all gone) itā€™s just fine. Lutra is currently giving a try at a Chocolate Stout

Are you saving it and if so how many generations so far? I plan to grab some and stick it in the fridge. Not sure what my next brew will be and if transporting it north in the spring will work out.

I have harvested it from 3 batches and I have not noticed a change. Remember these Kveik strains have been traditionally harvested using yeast rings so IMO they are bred for harvesting

I have seen photos of the yeast rings online. Looks like they carry them around outdoors uncovered so it must be tough stuff. All I ever do is scoop out some yeast after transferring with a sanitized spoon and and save it in a small mason jar then step in up next time.

This summer I will try a large scale batch with it. Not sure what yet.

Bumpā€¦ā€¦
I have some Lutra coming from our hostā€¦ Is this a good yeast?
I also would like to save some and pitch in my apple jooseā€¦. I like the cidre dryā€¦ does it go that low?
Sneezles61

In short, yes its a good yeast and got gravity down to 1.010 for a pilsner

I have used lutra in pilsner fermented in June. Started at 72.8 but in day it was up to 80 F. OG 1.047 FG 1.010.
When I did a side by side of what was in kegs, I could not taste a difference between pilsner made from Lutra and true lager yeast.

Later tasted bottles of both which had bottle aged. The true pilsner bottles had lagered at 34 F for 2 months, the lutra was at 65 F during that time.
One young person was able to taste a slight banana flavor in lutra bottled. Being an old person, I was not able to taste banana flavor exactly it just did not taste as clean to me. The difference between bottle lagered/ aged kveik lutra and real lager yeast was subtle. My notes say next time try fermenting lutra at a lower temperature. The difference might also have been due to beer storage conditions.

1 Like

Itā€™s cooling off here nowā€¦ wonā€™t be hard to do cooler fermentsā€¦.
I am looking forward to X-beermenting with Lutraā€¦
I am also going to start brewing smaller brewsā€¦ so there becomes a different adventureā€¦ too dry? Too high a finished gravity? Iā€™ll find out
Sneezles61

Iā€™ve used both Lutra and Oslo. Both are4 very clean when not given any temperature control. I can imagine they would be even cleaner with lower temps. These both are definitely the ā€œcleanestā€ most lager like ale yeasts I have tried.

1 Like

I just got a message from our host, the dry yeast has shippedā€¦ I suspect it might make a great yeast to harvest too.
Sneezles61