Looking for Suggestions on Modifying an Extract recipe

Is your wort in the carboy holding a steady temperature? Fluctuating wort temperature can stress the yeast and result in poor performance. Having the carboy in a water bath can help maintain a steady wort temperature. Sometimes the water bath will need to be cooled or heated to maintain the optimum wort temperature for the yeast.

where it is in my house remains fairly constant, dark bedroom closet, 65-70 degreesā€¦

okayā€¦now i get itā€¦

just pour the whole thing from my flask into the carboy and see if sheā€™s done

Hereā€™s what the starter looks like after 36 hoursā€¦Iā€™ve never done one so I donā€™t knowā€¦no krasuen

1 Like

Looks nice. Fully fermented out and ready to refrigerate. A day or two in the refrigerator will drop the yeast to the bottom of the flask. You can decant most of the spent wort before pitching the yeast. Let the starter warm to pitching temperature, decant most of the spent wort, and then swirl the yeast into the remainder of spent wort for pitching. There is less stress on the yeast if you pitch into wort that is within 5Ā° to 10Ā°F of the yeast.

edit: You can also decant most of the spent wort and then let the yeast warm to pitching temperature.

Looks great like flars said now coldcrash. Day or two. Than decant. The yeast. Let it warm up to room temp and ready to pitch

The problem is he is trying to kick start a presumably stalled fermentation. Looks like you missed high krausen. No worries, just add a little more starter wort and when it kicks off again pitch it.

1 Like

I think you should cold crash, over night, git up early git a starter rolling, then shake the living bā€™jesuses into it and then decant yer yeast. Once its going along thenā€¦. pitch to yer stalled brewā€¦ Sneezles61

Do a whole new starter? This one never had krausen.

No need to do a whole starter, just add new wort. Adding that much yeast to a starter will result in a very fast fermentation. Likely you missed high krausen.

1 Like

I was adding this to a stalled fermentation
No krausen ever formedā€¦
I can make more wort tomorrow just donā€™t want to alter flavor of the stall itā€™s added to

Using a stir plate? If so, donā€™t. Just add the new wort.

I made the starter but no krausen ever formed. Iā€™ts now in the fridgeā€¦should I start from scratch and do a new one to pitch to the stalled brew?

Some yeasts will not form a krausen in the starter wort. This will happen more often when a stir plate is used. Pour a SG sample when the yeast begins dropping out in your refrigerated starter. An SG of 1.003 to 1.018 means your starter has worked. The actual SG will depend upon the yeast used.

SG is temperature dependent. Most hydrometers are now calibrated for 1.000 in distilled water at 60Ā°F. Donā€™t forget to sanitize the flask.

What was I thinking. Forgot about starting a stalled fermentation. You can decant some of the spent wort after the yeast begins dropping out to add new, very well aerated wort.

1 Like

I donā€™t use a stir plate but no krausen formed, so I have to 'restart ā€™ the starter so to speak?

YES, just make a wort, 1 cup DME and 1 quart water boiled, cooled, and shake the living bā€™jesuses into it till its foamy. Decant the liquid from yer yeast thats in question, add the new wort, swirl it till mixed well. keep it covered but do look and swirl every hour, there a bouts, when you see it bubbling,foaming by its self, add to yer stalled brew. Sneezles61

Sheā€™s an hour old

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll be making starters from now onā€¦

1 Like

That looks as though sheā€™s pitchable! I have found a long time ago how good it works. I will do a starter and repeat for a week just to build up enough yeast to store some away. The great Denny sez its called culturing. It works for me and saves me money. Sneezles61

When I swirl it now it foams up to the stopper. Should I dump her in ? Not really much activity when I leave it alone

1 Like