Looking for Suggestions on Modifying an Extract recipe

Awesome. Are you gonna use second fermentor. Or leave it in the primary.

I am going to use a secondary, marbe dry hop and/or oak cubes
Its been in primary for about 36 hoursā€¦I took a peak and it looks like the krausen reached the top of the bucket (abt 5 inches of clearance) but has now subsided, and is an inch or so thick. No airlock activity but thatā€™s probably just a poorly sealed lid.

Me normaly wait 8 to 12 days before transfer to second. Dry hop yes. Do about three weeks before my brew is ready. Or after thirth og reading. Once around. The fg. I do dry hop

1 Like

Just checked and Gravity is down to 1.027 since Monday. No krausen.

1 Like

holding at 1.027 and racked to secondary

What are you using to check gravity? 1.027 is awful high.

1 Like

You got to check grav first before you do transfer.

Yes, as Loopie sez, too high a gravity and it does like a refractometer reading. Why? Because I found out the hard wayā€¦ Waited and waited. Did you taste yer brew yet? If its quite sweet you may need to wait, which may give you time to git a hydrometer, maybe, even a finishing hydrometer. Sneezles61

Used a hydrometer, it was in the primary for a good 19 days, no change in gravity from day 7 to 19. DId it stall? Temp did go down here, it was in a house that fluctuates between 68-75. It tasted slightly sweet, but like a good flat beer. Any suggestions as to what can be done?

How do I get that gravity to drop?

I would drop the SG by pitching US-05. Rehydrate a pack of US-05. Pitch the rehydrated yeast into one liter of well aerated wort of 1.040. Pitch the starter wort when a half inch thick krausen has formed. The yeast will be ready to work. It may take another week to get the SG down to about 1.011.

Let the starter sit undisturbed as the yeast begins to ferment the starter wort. This way it wonā€™t be oxidized but will be a neutral flavor addition to your beerā€¦

2 Likes

Would I just use Dry malt extract to make the wort ? and how much for 1 L?

Yes use dme. I just made a starter last friday. did use yeast calculator. It did tell me had to use 180 grams of dme. On the liter this is based on how old the yeast is

A starter wort is a 10 to 1 ratio of water to DME in the metric system for a 1.038 wort. One liter of water, 1000 ml, to 100 grams of DME. In our Imperial system this will be 34 ounces of water to 3.5 ounces of DME. Use the lightest DME available for the least flavor contribution.

Google Josh Madison for a great conversion calculator to keep on your desk top. Calculator is tabbed for easy use.

1 Like

So easy the metric system

Got it, great converter. How would you suggest I pitch the new starter? Iā€™m already in a 5 gal glass carboy with a small neck. I could use an auto-siphon or funnel with tubing running into the carboy and just below the surface to minimize splashing and what not.

1 Like

Or I can let it sit for a couple weeks as the temps here are warming back up againā€¦airlock has some bubble every minute or so when it gets warm in the afternoon. It was good, a tad sweet, I just donā€™t want to open it up to contamination

Hi, Iā€™ve been brewing for about a year now. Iā€™m by no means an expertā€“still learning a ton every timeā€“but Iā€™m not far removed from how you feel. That said, thereā€™s a lot of great comments already to help guide your decision.

One suggestion includes giving it away (to an extent). Craft brewing and home brewing is quite an anomalous community of peopleā€“so different yet united by our love for the craft. You can never go wrong in gifting beer to friends, relatives, co-workers, and even your boss. Itā€™s a great way to break the ice and network, plus you never know where that might lead you. Just make sure the beer is good first.

I just poured the vitality starter into the carboy in a steady stream. Did not cause any splashing.

I donā€™t believe itā€™s due to temps. Your house temps were plenty warm. Likely it was caused by poor yeast health. This is why I would pitch a high krausen starter. If itā€™s finished itā€™s finished but adding this healthy starter wonā€™t hurt either.