Looking at buying a malt mill soon...input?

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“bavarianbrewmaster1”]

Can anyone offer some input as to the benefits to a 2-roller vs. 3-roller? And what brand is tried and true? I know a 3-roller is great for milling a high volume of grain at higher speeds, but other than that is it all personal preference? Let me know!!![/quote]

I had good luck speaking directly with the owner of the Monster Mill on the 2-roller vs 3-roller question for his mills. He gave me some very good advice, and didn’t recommend the 3-roller mill for my situation. The homebrewing community is pretty friendly; email them and ask their advice.[/quote]

Scratching my head here. I can’t think of any negatives to the MM 3-roller other than higher price than the MM 2-roller. Am I missing something?

I’ve been happy with my BC and have had no issues (that I didn’t cause myself). I run maybe 250 -300lbs a year through it. Six or seven years now, I lose track.

Like others have said, people seem to like the mill they have.

Paul

[quote=“brewsumore”]
Scratching my head here. I can’t think of any negatives to the MM 3-roller other than higher price than the MM 2-roller. Am I missing something?[/quote]

No negatives other than an extra roller to clean and the price.

Yeah, now that I re-read what I quoted, other than price, it seems there’s not much time saved when crushing smaller, occasional batches with the 3-roller, hence it’s unnecessary. I do 10 to 12 gallon batches and struggled sometimes too long with my previously owned BC to get the crush done (after using it 5 years), and after fighting that frustration went whole hog and got the MM 3-roller with big rollers. Life, as they say, is now a breeze.

I am looking at getting a mill myself… after reading through this post and looking at the websites I have decided to go with a Monster Mill 2 roller. My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the stainless steel?

I have a 2-roller CrankAndStein. Supposedly the 3-roller will strip the husk off nicer first, then crack the endosperm. Basically preserving the husk while pulverizing the starch.

I’ve been flirting with a 3-roller for a while, but I’m happy with the 2-roller mill right now, and customer service is fantastic.

Good luck!

Been thinking about getting a mill myself. Found this recently but don’t know anything about it, meaning can’t find any reviews. Price is great though… and free shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Kille ... _2310.html

Like I said, I’ve pretty much settled on the Monster Mill 2- roller based on the feedback here. Monster Mill offers three metal types for the mill, steel, hardened steel (additional $40) , and stainless steel (additional $80). Wanted to get peoples thoughts on whether it was worth it to upgrade.

If you’re not milling enough to make it worth the third roller, then why spend money on making the rollers harder, which is done to help them last longer under heavy duty?

I think their website says to go to stainless if you are using and storing the mill in damp locations, otherwise the steel is fine.

Good point! I am pretty much stuck doing 5 gallon batches a couple times a month. Can’t see myself doing larger batches anytime in the near future do to space issues.

Thanks guys!

FWIW I have the steel rollers, mill conditioned grain, and haven’t experienced any rust problems.I quickly run a small wire brush over the rollers after I’m done and then blow out the mill with some compressed air. I was tempted to upgrade to the SS rollers when I bought it but haven’t regretted going with the standard steel.

How much of a mess does milling grains make? Is there much dust? Can you do it indoors, in finished space?

It can be a bit dusty. I try to do it outdoors if I can. I’ve started to wear a particle mask as well. Eliminated the sinus headaches the next day. Took a while to figure that one out… Cheers!!!

Not much dust at all with mine…

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/ ... ill001.jpg

Plans here

http://gnipsel.com/beer/equipment/MegaMillPlans.htm

John

It can be a bit dusty. I try to do it outdoors if I can. I’ve started to wear a particle mask as well. Eliminated the sinus headaches the next day. Took a while to figure that one out… Cheers!!![/quote]

If you condition the malt, it cuts way down on the dust.

It can be a bit dusty. I try to do it outdoors if I can. I’ve started to wear a particle mask as well. Eliminated the sinus headaches the next day. Took a while to figure that one out… Cheers!!![/quote]

If you condition the malt, it cuts way down on the dust.[/quote]
I do condition but there’s still dust in the process. Thanks for the suggestion though. Cheers, and happy brewing!!!

Anybody have the phone number for the Barley Crusher folks? I couldn’t find it on their website… I emailed them a week or so ago about my rollers not pulling the grain through. I think it is a similar problem as someone else on this thread had re: worn knurls. I’ve put nearly a ton through it over the years. Anyways, haven’t heard back yet and was wondering is anyone had the phone number handy.

Thanks!

BTW, I love the BC. Best brewing purchase I probably ever made as far as saving money is concerned.

[quote=“klyphman”]Anybody have the phone number for the Barley Crusher folks? I couldn’t find it on their website… I emailed them a week or so ago about my rollers not pulling the grain through. I think it is a similar problem as someone else on this thread had re: worn knurls. I’ve put nearly a ton through it over the years. Anyways, haven’t heard back yet and was wondering is anyone had the phone number handy.

Thanks!

BTW, I love the BC. Best brewing purchase I probably ever made as far as saving money is concerned.[/quote]

Don’t know if this is the # but a little research shows

Randall L. Justice as the registered name for BC, and a search on that name & zip code of 48002 showed this number a couple of times. 810-395-7530. Let us know if it works. May need it someday myself. Cheers!!!

Thanks hamiltont. I’ll give it a shot on Monday.