Lefse Blond AG - How important is step mash?

Had the commercial beer recently and loved it, so I decided to order this kit. The instructions list a step mash procedure with a protein rest, a beta rest, and an alpha rest. They also have an option B where you just mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes. Will I gain anything from doing the step mash, or should I just go with the single step at 150 degrees? It seems the popular opinion is that grains are more modified these days and don’t need these extra steps. However, I’ve not worked with Pilsner malt before. Thanks.

Maybe now is a good time to try a step mash schedule! I doubt you’ll notice much if any difference… Easier ifn you do a BIAB…. Maybe do a lower mash schedule to lighten the mouthfeel, but will get a bit more fermentables from yer grain. Sneezles61

I have used plenty of Belgian Pilsner malt and never found it necessary to do a step mash. I usually have some two row in with it though. It might be fun to try a step mash anyway.

Thanks. I might just do the step mash since I’ve never done one and just to say I’ve done one. John Palmer has equations in How To Brew to help figure out how much water to add for each step. I’ll see if I can do it with my cooler MT. Thanks again.

Unless the malt is undermodified, the protein rest is unnecessary and can theoretically be detrimental by reducing the proteins responsible for head foam. Not sure how big an issue that really is, but I do avoid protein rests when using fully modified malts, which is almost always.

Beta rest can be helpful. It gives the beta amylase more time at the peak activity temperature which will result in dryer, more fully fermented beer. When combined with a alpha rest, it makes it easier to hit your fermentability target (balance between dryer beer or more full bodied beer) by making reducing the need to hit your target exactly, and instead making the time spent at the two targets the more important factor.

The equations in Palmer’s book work, but beware that there is a HUGE factor that you need to figure out beforehand. Mash tun thermal mass is different for every different mash tun. You can figure it out by placing a couple gallons of cold water in your mash tun, allowing it to stabilize, then adding a couple gallons of boiling water. By measuring how much the temperature changed, you can calculate the thermal mass.

It is good to experiment with different processes, have fun.

step mash is for losers