Last runnings on Innkeeper/other session beers

I’m contemplating brewing the Innkeeper, great time of year. I was concerned with such a small grain bill I’ll be pulling tannins/astringency on final runnings. I have a grainfather so monitoring the gravity of last runnings is a pain.

Has anyone monitored last runnings on the Innkeeper? Or methods you use on monitoring other low gravity worts’ last runnings?

pH… get it close to the ideal 5.2 - 5.6 and your worries are minimal…
No way to use a turkey baster/wine thief to pull out some for… refracrometer or hydrometer?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks sneezles for response. I’ll get pH dialed for sure, as for sampling, I could totally gather a homogenized sample from kettle, but with mash tun propped up above kettle for sparge there’s no way to get a sample of the last runnings unmixed, unless I pull the Mash off and hold over a pot or something, but that seems like a lot of juggling/guessing of WHEN to pull, etc.

I was taught to stop gathering wort when Plato drops below 2.5, that’s when it’s pulling tannins and undesirables from spent grain. So PRIOR to grainfather it was easy to pull a sample and use refractometer, and if P drops too low then top with water! But darn thing’s in the way!

Just curious how others with mash/boil setups that are prevalent now, if people have protocols/ideas on checking gravity of final runnings. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I won’t be of much help then… my system isn’t automatic… I’m electric, but still fully involved.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Welcome back, by the way!
I’m also no help with my primitive BIAB setup.
I know there are some Brewers on here who use the Grainfather or similar set ups. @denny I believe, and others maybe they will chime in.

I was able to find some Timothy Taylor’s landlord, in bottles locally here. What a great beer!

2 Likes

Thanks again sneezles, and thanks voodoo! Great to be back! Yeah I got the grainfather for repeatability, but it’s not the best for gathering samples/data during sparge especially.

1 Like

And let’s think…. The sparging is with full volume? If so, then are the chances of leaching proteins and tannin’s reduced as the wort has picked up enough minerals to buffer the wort?
Sneezles61