Lagering temp question

I searched for this I swear. I know I’m missing it… Very first lager. After I do my d-rest at 65 degrees (I think that’s right), how fast to I bring the temperature down to lagering temp? Just turn it down to 34-35, or do I do a little at a time? Thanks!

Also, I see posts about bottle lagering. Is that in addition to lagering in the secondary, or in lieu of lagering in the secondary? Thanks again.

I’ve only made a couple of lagers which both turned out fine. I just turned the temp down, no steps. I don’t know anything about bottle lagering.

Hah! Other new post was discussing bottle lagering.

If you can, cold crash the bulk fermenter… this will help to clear, can you keep it that way a minimum 2 weeks? Then to the bottle process…. If you keg… quietly rack it and put it on gas and walk away from it for a month… a little sample to see how it’s coming along is always demanded! (:slightly_smiling_face:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks. I have a dedicated temp controlled freezer, so I can lager in the secondary for as long as it takes. Haven’t really decided for sure if I will bottle my first lager (Mexican style) or keg it. What’s the purpose of gassing the keg for a month?

Thanks. I read somewhere that stepping the temp down slowly was best, but have read your way also.

It does take time for CO2 to dissolve into the brew… There a few Lager experts on here that can detail the slow or fast cold lagering…. I couldn’t tell the difference… so I just set the freez-mentor to 32 and a couple weeks later time to keg… and then I get to the lagering process and carbing process… they’ve all seemed to be great brews!
Sneezles61

I don’t chill it back down until I’m ready to drink it. And then slowly would be better than quickly, for the sake of the yeast, to give them time to eat and absorb excess diacetyl and sulfur. Cold crashing is not good for lagers.

I’ve used the D-rest at the end of the fermenting stage. Room temp.
Sneezles61

Lagering in a keg is a perfect way to achieve a clear and delicious beer. Some folks will lager an Oktoberfest all summer in a keg to tap in the fall.

1 Like

Makin’ my tongue to be wanting one now… mmmm
Sneezles61

1 Like