Lager series

Thats whom I heard about midnight wheat from too… Another thank you to Voodoo! You’ll have a nice dark brew right there… what… about 1.049 OG+/- ? Sneezles61

1 Like

came out 1.052 and very black. Smells great.

Pumping the last few gallons into the second bucket right now.

3 Likes

My Igloo cooler on its side and ice bottles have my 34/70 at 47 degrees. I think I may have gone too far but I do have a nice krausen. I think I need to put only 1.5 liters of frozen bottles in instead on 2.5 liters.

1 Like

I ferment lagers in the mid 40s often. Your fine. That’s how I learned

3 Likes

My two fermenters are at 51F with 2 frozen 1L water bottles in each swamp cooler. I swap them out every 12 hours.

1 Like

My newly repurposed freez-mentor was completed late yesterday… This AM, soon, kinda, the brew will be started!
I still need to add a fan to the freez-mentor, but I made it adaptable… Sneezles61

2 fermenters in the freez-mentor with 5.75 gallons each. 1.055.
I just couldn’t go all pils malt… 50/50 pils and MO… 12 oz C-120… Nice golden hue… Apparently, I thought I had some hops fo this style… WONG… Amarillo and Chinook… I think I really bastard-ized it… Not worried… It’ll end up… BEER! Sneezles61

West coast American Lager?

I suspect so… I didn’t put them in until it was 120*. X-beer-menting… Sneezles61

I’m a little gun shy on straight pilsner. The first lager I ever made was straight pilsner. It came out alright but subsequent ones I added a bit of Munich. I’m planning to brew a pilsner with a bit of acidulated malt.

Ive been mixing my grain bills like this for many brews now… Even 2 row and MO as a 50/50 mix… I really like the results Sneezles61

Oh I do that also. But it’s a challenge thing for me brewing all pilsner Reinheitsgebot style.

That’s what got me so interested in brewing an acceptable Pilsner. I’m getting compliments pretty consistently on it now so I think I’m getting there.

Straight Pils malt? Sneezles61

I usually add a little carafa special for color and and ounce or two carapils for head retention if I’m not doing a decoction which is most of the time…but yea no other base grains.

Kegging 10 gals of this one today to get it lagering:

11.00 gal Pilsen, Czech Water 1 -
18 lbs Avangard Best Malz Pilsner Malt (1.9 SRM Grain 2 98.1 %
4.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 1.4 %
1.5 oz Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM Grain 4 0.5 %
1.00 oz CZ Saaz [3.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 6.9 IBUs
1.40 oz German Magnum [14.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 36.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz CZ Saaz [3.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 8 0.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [124. Yeast 9 -

I can hit the pilsen czech water profile pretty darn close with just adding lactic acid to my water to lower pH and alkilinity.

1 Like

Lactic acid is not Reinheitsgebot but then I guess niether is the whirlflock. I’m going to use the acidulated malt and just lager at freezing temperatures

I’m not really trying to be rheinheitsgebot but is acidulated malt rheinheitsgebot? It’s just malt with acid on it.

I believe the acidulated malt is acidified by the lactic enzyme on the pilsner grain. And it does conform to Reinheitsgebot

You really believe in todays production they wait for that to occur? Guarantee it’s sprayed with lactic acid.

Either way technically speaking yeast doesn’t even conform since the purity laws said the only ingredients used could be barley, hops and water…

You do know I’m just yankin yer chain right Cat? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: